Twenty-One

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

(S1 E9)

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

"No. No, no, no, no, no. No, this isn't happening," Parker mutters to herself, staring at the scene in front of her in horror. Peterkin's blood begins to seep through her tan shirt, and Officer Smith's limp body lays fully still nearby. 

John B is the first to move forward, running to the Sheriff. "Hey. Hey. Hold still. Hold still." He moves to try to stop the bleeding, questioning, "It's okay. Where is it?" He unbuttons her shirt, revealing a white bulletproof vest underneath that Rafe had completely missed. "Where is it? Oh, my-- I'm sorry. I'm sorry." John B presses his bandana to the wound, making Peterkin gasp in pain.

"Call!" Peterkin rasps out. Parker can hear the pain in her voice, bringing even more tears to her eyes. Sarah begins to cry into her chest. "Call! Call for help." Peterkin finishes, and John B gets the hint quickly. He grabs the radio that was strapped to her belt and holds it up to his mouth. Unfortunately, Rafe notices.

"Hey!" Rafe calls out, aiming the gun at John B. He moves forward with it leveled, a furious and wild look in his eyes. Parker moves to jump in front of her best friend, but Sarah holds her back. 

"Rafe, no! Rafe!" Ward yells out to his son, trying to prevent him from making any more mistakes. Rafe ignores him, shaking the gun at John B. "Don't try it, asshole." 

Ward takes a step towards both of the boys, holding his hand out. "Rafe-- John B, give me the radio." John B shakes his head, replying firmly. "No." 

Ward bends down in front of him, trying again but in a more stern voice. "Come on. Give me the radio. The damn radio." He snatches it away from John B before reaching for Peterkin's gun. 

Parker thinks about making a move for Officer Smith's gun and radio, but as soon as she takes a step, Rafe whips around and aims the gun at her in turn. She hears Sarah whimper behind her, and her heart breaks just a little bit more. Ward quickly notices them, moving forward and taking Smith's gun and radio. He gives Parker a dangerous look before turning to his son.

"Rafe, I've got it. Calm down. Rafe, put the gun down. I got it." While Ward was distracted by Rafe, Parker ran over to John B and collapsed to her knees besides him and Peterkin. She took note of the bleeding, assuming that the bullet went all the way through. Lifting Peterkin up slightly, she applied pressure to her back as well. She felt the blood pool around her hands, and realized that if they didn't stop the bleeding, the sheriff would bleed out right there.

"Run," Peterkin quietly wheezes, her breathing labored. Parker quickly shakes her head, muttering back, "I'm not leaving you. We're not leaving." 

Peterkin grabs her casted hand, trying to show her seriousness. "Run!" John B relents, standing up while muttering, "I'm sorry." His voice cracks, but Parker refuses to respond to even that. "I'm not leaving her, Johnny. I- I can't just leave her."