Nineteen

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

(S1 E8)

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

"Get back, you guys. Get back! Get away from the throttle!" Ward exclaims, swinging the gaff around. John B and Parker quickly back away from the throttle, giving the older man fearful looks. Ward continued to swing the gaff and yell, "Stay back! We're not going anywhere till you listen!" 

Both Pogues exclaim, "Okay! Okay! Relax!" Ward takes a panting breath, pulling the fishing gaff back slightly. "You understand? Just stop! It wasn't my fault! It was your father, okay? It was your father that tried to change--" He can't finish his sentence as John B rushes forward and basically tackles him.

As the two fight over the gaff, Parker is reminded of something. When she was talking to Peterkin, right before her father had gotten her from the station, the Sheriff had shown her some pictures. Two men who had washed up, completely slashed up and gutted like fish. She gasps, realizing the horrible truth.

Before she can reveal it to John B, she sees that Ward has gotten the upper hand and is pressing her best friend up against the cockpit. He tries to gasp out her name, but he can't without taking his attention away from keeping the gaff out of his face. 

Parker snaps out of her reverie and jumps into action, grabbing the first thing she can get her hands on and smashing it on Ward's head. Instead of making Ward back off, this makes him shove John B down to the main level of the boat. 

Ward turns around slowly, prompting Parker to back away. He moves forward slowly before quickly lunging forward, and when Parker leaned back to avoid getting cut, she felt herself flip over the railing and fall down to the second level, reminding her eerily of her fall off of the lighthouse just a few days prior. 

When she hits the chairs, she lets out a groan. Every part of her body ached, and the bruises that already were scattered around weren't helping her by any means. She rolled over, catching sight of Ward heading inside with the aura of a man with something important to do. 

She pushes herself to her feet as best she can with just one arm, and she stumbles towards John B. She comes around the corner and sees her best friend trying to radio for help on the ground. "Mayday. Mayday. This is the-- Hello? If anybody's hearing this, this is the My Druthers! Mayday. Mayday. Mayday. Can anybody hear me? Mayday, mayday, mayday! Oh, my God. Mayday. Mayday. Mayday. This is the My Druthers, call time--"

John B is interrupted by the sound of Ward groaning, and he turns around just in time to dive out of the way of the lunging older man. Ward brings the fishing gaff down right where John B just was, and Parker pulls her best friend back in fear. 

John B uses Ward's slight distraction to his advantage and he lunges forward, grabbing onto the Cameron man. He pins him up against the side of the boat, pressing into him with his casted arm. They both grunt as they struggle against each other, but John B finally releases him when Ward knees him right in the crotch. The younger boy keels over, clutching his groin with his eyes watering in pain. Parker reached for one of the fishing rods, but Ward was faster. He slammed the blunt end of the gaff into the Maybank girl's chest, knocking the wind out of her and making her fall backwards. He then used the handle to hit John B, making him fall again as well. Ward lunges towards the Routledge boy on the ground, but John B rolls out of the way just in time. He quickly gets to his feet, but Ward swings at him yet again. The hook catches John B's cast, giving him enough time to decide what to do. He quickly punches the older man in the face, making him recoil in pain. John B shakes the gaff off of his arm and pulls Parker up, leading her towards the cabin of the boat.