Matt Rife | Comedy Club Specials

Summary: When y/n accompanies her best friend Matt to his comedy show, she expects a night of laughs. But, when a curious fan outs their secret chemistry onstage, y/n finds herself thrust into the spotlight

Warnings: None

Word Count: 506

Y/n settled in one of the backstage chairs as the lights dimmed and the crowd cheered. The spotlight hit Matt like a wave of anticipation. He launched into his routine, keeping the audience laughing and on the edge of their seats.

Matt glanced back behind the curtains, his gaze felled upon his best friend, who'd been traveling with him the entire tour. Her support was the main thing that kept him going. That kept him motivated.

On stage, Matt continues his set, his timing on point, his delivery flawless. But in the back of his mind, he's thinking about y/n - the way she always knows what to say to get him through the tough days, the way she laughs at his jokes even when they're cringe.

He brings up his latest adventure with Elton Castee, the friend who dragged him on almost every ghost hunt. And in the midst of telling a story, a fan in the crowd raises their hand to ask a question that had been nagging them since the moment she started watching the Overnight channel.

"The girl in the green jacket, you got a question?" Matt asks, his eyebrow raising.

She nods. She's clearly nervous to ask as she fiddles with the zipper of her coat.

"Uhm, so I've been watching the Overnight channel for a couple of years now and I've always wondered about something. So you are obviously friends with Y/n since she travels with you guys half the time..."

Y/n back stage jumps a little bit from the sudden observation.

"That's correct," Matt chuckles nervously, unsure of where this is going. His endless flirting with Y/n during multiple videos had been caught by fans and the comments on those videos were mostly about them, so he had somewhat of an idea of what this comment was about to be.

"I was just wondering, and you can totally ignore this, but I was wondering if you and Y/n were a thing?"

The audience, fortunately couldn't see it due to the lighting, but Matt's cheeks were slowly turning a blush pink from the question. And so were Y/n's.

Matt chuckled again, he honestly didn't know how to answer this question without it getting completely awkward. "Uh. I uh... I mean if you're referring to the harmless flirting in those videos... I just do it for um entertainment? I don't really know how to answer that question, I guess. We used to date in high school, but, right now we're just best friends."

"Would you ever date her again if you had the chance?" The fan asks.

Matt grins and looks behind the curtains again. He would 100% date Y/n again. Late night talks, spontaneous road trips... if he could do that with her again, he wouldn't even hesitate.

"I...I think I would."