15. sacrifice....

The next day.....

Enveloped in the tranquil allure of Marble Kosik, Gevherhan Sultan found solace perched upon a solitary rock. Her world was one of quiet contemplation until the moment Silahtar Aga graced the scene. His presence stirred something within her, causing her to rise from her solitude. Her face, previously a canvas of neutrality, was now illuminated, a radiant smile adorning her features. "Praise be. I prayed for this moment, to see your face once again," she confessed, her feet instinctively moving towards him. But he halted her advance with a mere gesture of his hand. "My Sultana," he interjected, his voice carrying a weight that hadn't been there before.

The smile that had so effortlessly graced Gevherhan's face moments ago faded, replaced by a look of confusion that clouded her eyes. "What's happening, Silahtar? Why this sudden change?" she asked, her voice echoing the confusion mirrored in her eyes. Silahtar responded, his voice devoid of any emotion, his head bowed in a show of respect. "I wish things were different, my Sultana. But from now on, it's impossible... Do you remember your words? 'There are mountains and seas between us and we can't cross them.' You were right."

Gevherhan drew a sharp breath, her eyes desperately searching his face for answers. "What are you trying to convey? What does this all mean?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper, her heart pounding in her chest. Silahtar met her gaze, his expression solemn, his eyes reflecting a pain he wished he didn't have to share. "His Majesty spared my life. But my punishment is just beginning. His Majesty has made a decision."  

"Murad, seated on his throne in the grandeur of his court room, presided over an ongoing council. Kamankesh Aga stepped forward, bowing in deference, "Your Majesty." Murad, his face a mask of stoicism, cut straight to the chase. "What's the situation?"

"Both the soldiers and the people are adhering to your prohibitions. We're showing no mercy. However, the execution of Ahizade Effendi has stirred up a hornet's nest. The populace wishes to perform a funeral for him. I thought it prudent to inform you before the situation escalates," Kemankesh voiced, a hint of fear tingeing his last sentence. This only served to stoke the flames of Murad's anger. "Since when do people perform funeral prayers for traitors? They seem to have a death wish!"

"Your Majesty, most are unaware of the true circumstances. Many don't even know that the mufti was dismissed. The scholars should pacify the people and clarify the situation," Silahtar Aga suggested. "That's precisely why I am here. The scholars are also on edge. To discuss the matter, they've convened at Kadizade Mehmet Effendi's residence." Kamankesh aga again spoke out. 

In the seclusion of her chamber, Kosem Sultan sat on her couch, every inch the queen she was, with Haci Aga and Lalazar Khalifa flanking her sides. They were introducing Sanavber Hatun to her. "So, you are Sanavber. I hope your temperament is as pleasing as your visage," Kosem Sultan spoke, her voice resonating with authority. Sanavber responded with a smile tinged with slight nervousness, "I am at your service forever, my Sultana. It's an honor to be in your presence." Kosem Sultan scrutinized her sharply and then queried, "So you healed Husein Aga with your hands. What other talents do you possess?" "She received special training in the mansion of Pasha. She's an exceptional dancer," Lalazar Khalifa informed.