10. His mercy

Murad came into the Palace with all his men and Shehzade Selim, when Selim spoke and all of them stopped " Your Majesty, don't mind what that woman said. Don't let it upset you. She's in pain, she didn't know what she was saying." Murad looked at him and went away and Selim followed him. They all went towards Murad's chamber where Kosem Sultan, Hümaşah Sultan, and Mihrimah Sultan were standing in the corridor with Haci Agha and Mercan Agha. Murad looked at all of them and went inside his room and Kosem followed her. " My brave boy. You are here." Hümaşah Sultan hugged her son. "Selim? What happened to your hand?" "It's not a big deal, mother." Hümaşah Sultan looked at her son and shook her head "Mercan, let's go we need to make some medicines. And you come to my chamber after refreshing. " She went from there. Mihrimah looked at her brother and said " Go, or else mother will come and take you herself." " Abla...." " First let's go and bandage you we'll talk about this later." "But Abla-" "Selim...let's go, it must have been hurting a lot." Mihrimah and Selim then went to Selim's room.

Kosem Sultan went inside the room and saw her son standing on the balcony blankly looking downwards. Kosem went and stood beside him silently, she knew that Murad needed to be alone after what happened, but she wasn't going to leave him alone, her son was her everything and for him, she was ready to fight death also. " The fire reminded me of the winter when the Bosphorus froze, mother. Helplessness, famine... people dying of cold... that winter they say it was the disaster of my grandfather, Sultan Mehmed. So this is my disaster." Kosem looked at her son and spoke sharply. " God forbid, it's not the same thing. That winter was a divine warning. Never-ending snowflakes were like the arrows of God. It started the day one brother killed the other. It's not a divine warning this time! Those who lit this fire are our enemies." Murad looked toward his mother " Do you know something?" "Someone made a copy of my seal. Wrote a letter on my behalf. They gathered the dignitaries at the port and burned them all together. And you know the rest. They declared war! They did what the heathen could not do for centuries and set out capital on fire." "Not only my capital city, but they also burned my mercy too."

Mihrimah was in her chamber, and after doing the bandage, they went inside her room to talk

Mihrimah was in her chamber, and after doing the bandage, they went inside her room to talk. " Now tell me, how was it? How are the people?" "They are not okay, Abla.. the fire burnt all of their love ones..." "Inshallah, everything will be alright. His Majesty and we all will do something." Selim looked at his sister and took her hands in his and spoke, " Abla, his majesty... He got his eyes on me. I don't know if he could trust me after what happened today." Mihrimah looked at her in confusion and raised her eyebrow at him. " What happened?" Selim started to speak with terror as if he was remembering something scary. " A woman cut us off. She said to his Majesty that he failed to protect his people and end their pain. And the worst part is, she looked into my eyes, and screamed that I deserved the throne instead of him." Mihrimah choked on her breath and said " what did your bro-, his majesty said? Did he do anything?" "Nothing. He didn't do anything to her. We got back to the palace, he said nothing on the way. He didn't talk to me." " The fact that he heard it is too bad." "Abla,... Don't do anything against my cousin." Mihrimah looked at him and spoke softly. "Selim, if I wanted to do something I would have done that a long time ago. He is my husband, even if I wanted to do something I would never be able to harm him. Don't think about this. Enjoy your time here... You'll soon go back to Amasya." "But his Majesty, he will not allow it. " Mihrimah looked at him and nodded and went from there towards Atike Sultan's chamber.