Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

"That was a decade ago and he has since left the region undefended." Elowen defended her husband's brother.

"We have left it undefended." Rhaenyra corrected. "There should have been fortifications built, watchtowers, a fleet of ships, a garrison of soldiers sent to hold our ground."

"We cannot afford it, Rhaenyra." Elowen interjected. "Our coffers are great but not infinite. We must consider the cost to our subjects." The Queen's attention was stolen as Viserys pulled his hand from Elowen's, pressing it to his lips in an effort to stifle his coughs.

"I must agree with her Grace, fortifications would-" Lord Beesbury began.

"The cost of war is greater." Rhaenyra loudly spoke, interrupting her father's chief financial adviser. "But we have been lax and the old monster now lifts its head."

"Let us be finished." Elowen spoke, still looking at Viserys as she stood and walked to his side. The rest of the small council members followed their Queen's lead, and also stood up.

"Wait." Rhaenyra ordered. "I wish to speak."

"Be seated." Viserys sighed, motioning for everyone to sit down. All sat but Elowen, who remained standing at the King's side.

"I have felt the strife between our families of late, My Queen." Rhaenyra started, much to Elowen's confusion. The Queen had felt only strife coming from her step-daughter. "And for any offense given by mine, I apologize. But we are one house. And long before that, you were my favorite Aunt. My son Jacaerys will inherit the Iron Throne after me. I propose we betroth him to your daughter, Helaena. Ally ourselves once and for all. Let them rule together."

"A most judicious proposition." Viserys praised his daughter before looking at Elowen. Though the Queen was still frozen from Rhaenyra's speech. There had been no strife coming from Elowen, only endless love and now Rhaenyra spoke as if any came from Elowen and her children.

"Additionally, if Syrax brings forth another clutch of eggs, your son Aemond will have his choice of them, a symbol of our goodwill." As the Princess spoke, Elowen noticed a dark spot began to grow on the front of Rhaenyra's dress. She quickly averted her eyes, not wishing to bring attention to the wet stains and cause Rhaenyra any embarrassment.

"My dear," Viserys spoke as Rhaenyra sat down. "A dragon's egg is a handsome gift."

"The King and I thank you for your generous offer, and will have an answer shortly." Elowen smiled at Rhaenyra, as she took Viserys's arm and helped him to his feet. "You must rest now, husband."

"Yes." Viserys agreed, allowing Elowen to wrap her arm around his and escort him from the room.

Servants and Nobles rushed through the Red Keep's main hall, moving out of the King and Queen's way.

"Do you believe there has been strife between our families?" Elowen questioned as she rounded a corner and started up the stairs.

"I believe that is how she sincerely feels." Viserys answered.

"That does not answer the question, Viserys." Elowen looked at her husband sharply, wanting him to soothe her restless mind and comfort her.

"I think that she felt betrayed in her youth and that has affected how she viewed things, but now she sheds that belief. I do not believe that you have done anything to warrant those beliefs." Viserys answered, taking his wife's hand. "The proposal is a good one, Elowen."

"I do not care if it is a good political match,"Elowen argued. "I only hope for Helaena to be content. She could marry a peasant for all I care as long as he made her happy. I do not need my daughter to be Queen, I only want for her happiness."