LXVI Further Shocks - 2

Miss Silverstar stared, her eyes wide and cheeks pale, as Simpelstur triumphantly twirled his oily moustache.

"Ah. If it is not my niece's noble Ruritanian companion," he said, "And who is this behind you?"

My heart was immediately in my throat. Theo von Hentzau shifted slightly, as if to further block me from Simpelstur's field of vision. I could feel the ragged way my breath inflated my chest, hitching like I was a child who might burst into tears at any moment. Hentzau, though, was like a rock, naturally strong and immobile, and I was grateful for the reassuring strength of his wool-clad arm and shoulders, forming a physical and visual barrier between me and Simpelstur.

Unfortunately, the barrier created by Hentzau's arm was not impenetrable. Simpelstur's eyebrows shot up in recognition. I felt a rush of nausea, hot and unsettling, unfamiliar in the cold rain.

"Miss Auber." Simpelstur smiled. "We meet again. You look none the worse for wear. In fact," he looked Mr. von Hentzau up and down, "you rather seem to have improved your situation. Are you considering taking a position with the Ruritanian embassy? Perhaps under this young gentleman?"

I could feel my cheeks colour, and Miss Silverstar raised a hand to cover her mouth. Despite the discomfirture of our previous meetings, she looked more shocked than amused. "Uncle, please," she murmured.

In the meantime, Hentzau had straightened, angrily, his hand wandering to his hip – he was not carrying a sword, but a small pulse-gun is a easily concealed.

 "That is no way to speak to a lady," Hentzau said. "Speaking of which," he bowed, "Miss Silverstar; an honour, as always."

Cartimandua Silverstar dipped her head, nervously gazing in Simpelstur's direction. "Uncle, I must – I must go in and get ready," she said, looking back and forth among him and me and Hentzau.

Simpelstur raised an eyebrow. "Of course, my dear. I can deal with these two in your absence."

The blonde woman scuttled towards the door.

"Miss Silverstar!" I called to her over Theo's shoulder, "my brother -"

Cartimandua Silverstar shook her head, but said nothing. The green door opened for her as if by magic, and she was gone.

 The green door opened for her as if by magic, and she was gone

"Ah yes," Simpelstur said, smiling broadly, "Your brother. Dr. Blaise Auber, is that right?" He took a step towards us. "He will not be reporting in to either of his two workplaces, today."

I pushed Hentzau's arm out of the way, my fear for Blaise more powerful than my fear for myself.

"What have you done to him?" I demanded.

Hentzau grabbed my arm just above the elbow, pulling me back. "Don't be a fool," he breathed into my ear.

Simpelstur laughed. "My, my, wouldn't you like to know?" 

He pulled his pocket watch out of his pocket, stroking his moustache as he observed his own reflection in the watch glass. "Meet me after my niece's show, this evening, and you will very rapidly find out. Bring your Ruritanian friend along with you, hmm?"

He turned and strode down the alley towards the front of the Aosta. I would have followed him, but Theo von Hentzau's hold on my arm prevented any movement.

As Simpelstur rounded the corner, Hentzau pulled me to face him. I expected to see my own anger reflected in his face; instead, I saw a weary resignation. "Miss Auber," he said, "I think it is time we told each other the truth."