XXIX Back at the Department - 2

"Simpelstur's statement didn't seem to be code," I mused. I could hear the disappointment in my own voice. "It matched none of the encryption patterns I've learned and besides, the grammar was too natural. Well, I mean, it was natural for him. So I cannot understand why he would say what he did."

My boss smiled grimly. "There's no code there. He's taunting us. There is no doubt in my mind that Simpelstur said this on the Archduke's instructions. He wants us to know that our surveillance has not left him cowed."

"But why? Why would the Archduke want to bring suspicion onto himself?"

"Two reasons; first, it draws suspicion away from Simpelstur, who is the Archduke's primary operative in this country. Second, he knows that it will not put him in any danger - he is one of Queen Alexandrina's favourite cousins. I assure you that Her Majesty is completely incapable of believing him guilty of any crime, no matter what evidence I present."

My eyes grew wide. I had not realised that my superior was high-ranking enough to interact with the Queen herself. I did not, however, draw attention to my lack of knowledge, and kept my mouth sensibly shut. Instead, I asked, "But if Her Majesty is so fond of him, why is he working against her?"

"Her being fond of him does not mean that he is equally fond of her. That said, his ultimate goal is not to work against Her Majesty. His goal is to work against his uncle, the King of Ruritania."

I sighed. I found Ruritanian royalty to be exceedingly confusing. "Why any country needs both an archduke and a king," I muttered. "I shall never understand."

The boss raised an eyebrow. "Don't be foolish, Auber. Formally, the Archduke of Ruritania is the person who performs the king's parliamentary duties in the king's absence. But informally? Informally, 'archduke' is Ruritanian for 'heir presumptive'. Not every Ruritanian king has named an Archduke, but when one is named, he is always heir to the throne."

"But if he's heir to the throne, why work against the King? Why not simply wait? He's younger than his uncle."

"Not that much younger. And 'heir presumptive' isn't synonymous with 'heir apparent'. Unlikely though it seems, he may yet be pushed out of place in the succession. To my considerable surprise, and although it has yet to be publicly announced, my sources tell me that Queen Flavia is in a delicate condition."