Northern Plans

[Winterfell - Main Hall]

Jon stood at the high table. Robb, Catelyn, Sansa and Davos sat at his sides. Robb had named Jon his Hand Of The King.

Brienne, Podrick, Tormund, Petyr Baelish, Yohn Royce, Lyanna Mormont, Robett Glover, and the lords of the northern houses were in attendance. Theon was absent as he knew the resentment many Northerners held towards him and the Ironborn, as well as the fact Robb and Catelyn had return and he was not ready to face them yet.

"I want every northern maester to scour their records for any mention of dragonglass. Dragonglass kills white walkers. It's more valuable to us now than gold. We need to find it, we need to mine it, we need to make weapons from it. Everyone aged ten to sixty will drill daiky with spears, pikes, bow and arrow."

"It's about time we taught these boys of summr how to fight." Robett Glover said, causing the northern lords to laugh.

"Not just the boys." Jon said, drawing eyes to himself, including Brienne. "We can't defend the North if only half the population is fighting."

Robett stands. "You expect me to put a spear in my granddaughter's hand?"

Lyanna stood. "I don't plan on knitting by the fire while men fight for me. I might be small, Lord Glover, and I might be a girl, but I am every bit as much a Northerner as you."

"Indeed you are, my lady. No one has questioned-"

"And I don't need your permission to defend the North."

Davos smiled and Lyanna turned to Jon. "We'll begin training every man, woman, boy, and girl, on Bear Island."

The men pound their tables and shout in agreement. Robbed nodded at Lyanna and they both sat.

"While we're preparing for attack, we need to shore up our defenses. The only thing standing between us and the Army of the Dead is the Wall and the Wall hasn't been properly manned in centuries. I'm not the leader of the Free Folk." Jon looked at Tormund who looked back at him. "But if we're going to survive this winter together..."

Tormund grunted as he stood."You want us to man the castles for you?"

The men murmured.

"Last time we saw the Night King was at Hardhome. The closest castle to Hardhome is Eastwatch-by-the-Sea."

"Then that's where I'll go. Looks like we're the Night's Watch now." Tormund sat.

"If they breach the wall, the first two castles in their path are Last Hearth and Karhold."

Yohn stood. "The Umbers and the Karstarks betrayed the North. Their castles should be torn down with not a stone left standing."

"The castles committed no crimes. And we need every fortress we have for the war to come. We should give the Last Hearth and Karhold to new families, loyal families who supported us against Ramsay." Sansa said.
"Aye!" The crowd chorused in approval.

Yohn sat.

"The Umbers and the Karstarks have fought beside the Starks for centuries. They've kept faith for generation after generation." Jon noted.

"And then they broke faith." Sansa interjected.

"I'm not going to strip these families of their ancestral homes because of the crimes of a few reckless sons." Robb told his sister.

"So there's no punishment for treason and no reward for loyalty?"

The hall went silent.

"The punishment for treason is death. Smalljon Umber died on the field of battle. Harald Karstark died on the field of battle."