Battle Of The Goldroad Aftermath

[Highgarden - The King's Road]

The road leading from Highgarden was filled with men and carriages. Lannister soldiers were mqrching back to King's Landing after sacking the castle, and looting its food and gold.

Jaime yelled out to a passing wagon. "Halt that wagon!" He opened the carriage. It was filled with gold bars and coins. He picked up a large sack and handed it to Bronn.

"You just won the biggest prize in the world. What could you possibly have to be upset about? Come on. You can tell me. Queen of Thorns give you one last prick in the balls before saying goodbye?"

"I'll save my confessions for the High Septon."

"There is no more High Septon."

"No, there isn't, is there?"

"There is still the question of my prize."

Jaime was putting a padlock on the wagon bearing the gold. He stopped and turned to Bronn. "That's a lot of money I just gave you."

"It's not a castle." Bronn turned and pointed to Highgarden.

"You don't want to remain in Highgarden."

"I beg to differ."

"We're at war. Daenerys Targaryen could come take it back the day after you move in. Besides, think of the upkeep. The more you own, the more it weighs you down."

"Oh, is that why you're so fucking glum, eh? All your new riches weighing you down?"

Jaime pounded on the back of the carriage and the horses started trotting. "They're not mine. The gold belongs to the Iron Bank. We pay our debts."

"Right. Just not to me."

"Bronn of the Blackwater, formerly of whatever nameless shit heap you're from with a saddlebag full of gold complaining about not getting paid. When we win this war all the castles in the Seven Kingdoms will be yours to choose from with no one left to take them away from you."

"Yes, I'm sure Queen Cersei's reign will be quiet and peaceful."

"Stranger things have happened.

"Like what?"

Before Jaime could answer, Randyll Tarly and his son Dickon approached on horseback.

"The granaries are being emptied and loaded into wagons, My Lord." Randyll told him.

"The current harvest?" Jaime asked.

"We have teams of men collecting it and more farmers in the Reach." Dickon answered.

Jaime looked over to Bronn. "Ser Bronn, will you accompany the Tarleys and help them accelerate this process?"

"I'm not much for shoveling weight."

"No, but motivating reluctant farmers to hand over their harvest, I've heard you guys have a real talent for that."

Father and son both regarded Jaime.

"My Lord."

"My Lord."

Randyll, Dickon and Bronn broke away from the Lannister army and rode into the distance. Horse drawn carts are carrying spoils from Highgarden and Lannister men were mqrching down the road.

[King's Landing - Fields]

As the Lannister army was returning from sacking Highgarden, they were delivering gold and food to King's Landing. There were carts and men that haven't made it into the city gates yet.