1 Unexpected Turns

January, outside London...

Soft evening light painted the sky in fading colors of orange and pink as Tom and Emma walked inside the restaurant. The cold weather had left its mark, with patches of snow forming a slushy carpet on the pavements and surrounding scenery. The icy air lingered around them and he quickly pulled open the door, guiding her into the welcoming warmth of the establishment.

They were on a short trip away from the bustling streets of London, enjoying the serenity of North Yorkshire. They took it as a chance to explore the North York Moors and take some time off from the demands of their company. They owned a publishing house which they had built from scratch a little after their college years. It had all started as a small bookshop but after four years they were co-founders of a large group, steering their company together.

Together in business and love.

Their relationship had started within the walls of college campus. Emma, then a 22-year-old pursuing her master's degree in Business Administration, met Tom, 29, when he was completing his Ph.D. in Literary Studies. They met coincidentally and in traditional fashion, with her bumping into him and spilling her tea all over his blazer. Ever since that first meeting, they started off as friends but their bond evolved fast and before long, they were taking their relationship to the next stage.

For four years now, their relationship has been deep and strong, filled with trust, passion, devotion and love.

They were so different yet balanced each other so harmoniously.

Emma was patient, a person of graceful confidence. On the other hand, Tom was adventurous and sometimes restless, eager to take risks. Emma was shy and blushed easily, as fiery as her vibrant red hair, and being the teaser that he was, Tom always found a reason to hug and kiss her, unashamed to express his love openly and playfully. He loved how responsive and beautiful she was, and the more the years passed the more he felt tied to her.

Tom had planned to propose to her during their trip. It was the reason they had come to the moors. His proposal would take place in Castle Howard, within the walls of a room straight out of a fairy tale. His brother, Lewis who was responsible for the castle's management had arranged everything, along with his wife, Lia who was a renowned event planner. Their dinner today was a reason for Tom to distract Emma and have some group fun before the grand event.

"Honey? What are you thinking of so intently?"

Emma's voice pulled him from his thoughts, followed by the gentle tap of her finger smoothing out the little wrinkles on his forehead. Instinctively, he wrapped his arm around her, his gaze lingering on her beside him. She was wearing a dark blue dress that contrasted beautifully with her vibrant hair that cascaded her back in waves of red. She had a pretty round face, full pink kissable lips, and impossibly blue eyes, darker and more captivating than his own. Her skin, akin to porcelain was velvet soft and carried the faint scent of jasmine blossoms.

Unable to resist, he leaned down and pressed a kiss on her slightly parted lips, teasing the seam gently with the tip of his tongue. She let out a little moan and right on cue, she flushed pink, color spreading on her face and adorable freckles. When they returned to their bedroom, he would kiss every single one of her pretty freckles, face and body. He delighted in that thought.

"You and your sneaky touches," she whispered, unable to hide her wide smile.

"What? I couldn't resist," he said with a mischievous grin. "You're quite irresistible, rosy cheeks."

"Haven't you grown bored of calling me that after all those years?"

"How can I be bored?! When your pretty rosy cheeks are so pink and lovely for me?" He kissed each of her cheeks wetly. "They are as cute today as they were the first time I kissed you."