Chapter 1 - Best Friends Forever

Author's Note

Hey  Everyone,

This is just an attempt, hope you all like it!

I kinda changed the starting cause I didn't like the old one!

________________________________________

''A best friend is like a four leaf clover - hard to find and lucky to have'' - Sarah Jessica Parker.

Aisha's POV

''What would you prefer in your life partner? Loyalty or Honesty?'' Some random radio show host asked.

"What's the difference? Its's the same thing." Laila, My best friend, answered.

"Hmmm, I don't know, I'll probably choose honesty,'' I answered while tying my hair in a bun.

Me and Laila had known each other since we were kids. Our opinions were on opposite ends of the pole yet we respected them. Our friendship had already succeeded the 7 year mark so it was likely to stay like this forever. After weeks of hard work schedule, we finally met up for a sleepover at my house.

''Yeah but why?'' Laila asked while tossing around in the bed.

"If he tells me that he loves someone else, I'll leave him and let him live with her cause he's honest. He may not physically do anything with the girl he loves and be loyal to me but he would just be pretending to love me.'' I'm not sure how I'd feel about letting him go if I was in such a situation but at least he wouldn't spend his life being miserable with me.

''I think the most important this would be love.''

''I feel respect is more important.''

''I don't even wanna know why. You do know that you're a bit weird, right?'' Laila asked innocently and we started giggling.

''To be honest, I'm glad that me and Zain like each other, it makes things more simpler.'

''Zain? who's he?''

''Shit! I..I....ummm....''

''Out with it now!'' My mind starting following multiple tracks of what this could be.

''I...I haven't told you about this but I'm actually...da....dating this guy called Zain.....''She hesitated before finally letting the cat out the bag.

''Hang on, You're what?'' I asked as I recovered from the shock. Who is he? What does he do? When did this all start? Questions flooded my mind as Laila started speaking.

''I met him through some friends at work and he's an accountant like you and we've known each other for four months....''

''FOUR FREAKING MONTHS? And accountants and doctors don't date each other?'' I started coming up with stupid reasons.

''I...I didn't know how you'd react. I'm really sorry Aisha, and don't worry, I'll be the first doctor to date an accountant, Okay?''

''But dating is haram (forbidden) in Islam and we live in Pakistan which means your parents aren't modern enough to accept love marriages!'' I finally got my chance to use the religion and culture card.

''We're not gonna do anything before marriage, we just talk and get to know each other better. He even said that he's going to talk to his parents soon and I think I love him.''

How could she fall in love with someone in just four months? I wouldn't be able to to fall in love so quickly!

''Does your mum know about it?''

''Are you mad? No Wayyy...please don't ask me anything now , I'll tell you when I'm ready.'' I could sense the annoyance in her tone.

What is there to be ready about? I stopped myself from voicing out my thoughts otherwise my perfectly good friendship would be in the ruins.''Okay , at least show me a picture or something?''

''Okay but no more questions then,'' I plainly nodded as a response, Zain wasn't even worth using the energy to say yes.

She took out her phone and showed me a picture of them together and this Zain guy wasn't bad looking or anything, he actually looked quite decent and mature but I still disliked him cause he made my best friend lie to me for four months!

''Okay, now change the topic...'' Laila demanded.

''Actually I have to tell you something too.''

''Are you dating someone too?'' I could see the spark in her eyes.

''No, No, No....You know how I've always wanted an arranged marriage.''

'Isn't it weird how I want a love marriage but my parents want an arranged one where as you want an arranged marriage and you parents are cool with whatever you want?'

'' I guess so, anyway some guy sent a proposal for me and apparently they're coming over this Saturday.' Ideally, I'd like an arranged marriage but I don't think I'm ready for it after everything that happened.

''Who's the guy? and are you sure about this because it's the second time you're.......''

I cut her off before she could bring all my memories back, ''Ummm..... I didn't get a chance to ask mum more about it but I hope everything goes right this time.'' I didn't like being reminded of Fahad. It was an arranged marriage and we were engaged for six months. My parents discovered that he was already married to an American girl just weeks before the wedding. No explanations, no arguments; the wedding was called off. Words of sympathy followed my shadow and I became an object of pity. While some felt sorry, others blamed me as if I was wrong.

'Everything's gonna be fine, just be calm.'

'I hope so!' Laila didn't say anything, she knew not to scrape the wounds of the past because the scars would only get deeper. Despite being friends since we were 10 years old, there were still things I hesitated telling her!

__________________________

Vote and Comment

Let me know of any mistakes and I would love any feedback!