05.

SOPHIA

"Last question. What causes cutaneous ageing?" Christina was currently helping me study for my midterm examinations. I huffed, the little strands of hair framing my face going up in the air caused by the blow before falling over my eyes.

"There are generally two factors responsible for Skin ageing namely : Internal factor and External Factor. Skin collagen and elastin synthesis decrease by one percent, each year leading to disorganization of connective tissue. This depletion of collagen and elastin cause the development of skin wrinkles in the dermis layer."

I tucked the strands of hair covering my eyes, behind my ears.

She nodded, smiling at me. "Spot on." She clapped her hands excitedly. "I'd say you're ready for your test. You only got the first question wrong."

"I don't feel ready." I sighed. "I don't know why I chose a career field that requires you to study this long knowing how anxious shit like this makes me."

Chris cocked her head sideways, eyeing me. "Sophia." She said softly, making me look up at her. "You're one of the smartest people I know and you're really hardworking. I know your anxiety tends to get the better of you but all you have to do is believe in yourself."

Christina was right though, if only I could rid myself of the anxiousness - then I'd be unstoppable. "Thank you, you always know what to say when I need some motivational words. How are you so good at that?"

"Years of practice." We laughed at her response and I shook my head.

"Would you like something to eat?" I asked and as expected she instantly agreed. "You didn't even wait for me to finish my question before you answered."

"What can I say? A girl's gotta eat." She shrugged, making me laugh at her casual demeanour. "I was thinking-"

While looking threw my kitchen draws for the takeout menus I had, my head snapped in her direction and I nodded. "Yes?"

"Let's do something fun tonight." I grabbed an array of different menus, placing it down on the counter as Christina walked over to where I stood.

"We had an agreement Chris." I side eyed her. "With midterms coming up we're supposed to limit the amount of fun we have. We'll have plenty of time to indulge in fun activities after I've gotten these exams out of the way."

"I know but hear me out." She held her hands up. "Both you and Jess have been studying really hard all week long and I've been working overtime to meet my deadlines - not to mention the fact that you're also working part time." She glanced at me.

"Don't look at me like that."

"All I'm saying is, we could use a breather and I know the perfect spot for us." When I didn't respond she grabbed my shoulders and shook my body slightly. "Oh come on, you know you're dying to say yes."

I rolled my eyes, sighing softly. "Okay, where are we going?"

____

The red halter neck dress fit me like a glove. The soft material hugged my body, displaying all of my curves. The dress ended mid thigh but kept riding up when I sat down.