Chapter 12

⊱∘──AERYN──∘⊰

Kumuha ako ng malalim na hininga at tumawa nalang sa kaloob-kalooban. Nangako pa naman ako sa sarili ko na hindi na ako babalik dito, pero nandito ako ngayon sa conference room dito sa Erethex, nakaupo kasama ang team namin at lahat ng mga councils ng Erether.

The last time I saw them was 10 years ago. Ang iba nga sa kanila ay mukhang pinalitan na. Ganun pa din ang hitsura, pananamit, at paraan ng pagsalita ni Ariyah. Pero ngayon, mahahalataan na ang kaedaran niya. Mula sa kinauupuan ko, makikita ko ang ilang hibla ng buhok niya na puti. Mukha magkasing-edad sila ni Azer.

Seryoso ang mukha ng lahat habang nakikinig ito sa paliwanag ni Grim. May mga scientist rin na nakinig upang malaman kung ano ang maiitulong nila.

"That's quite hard, isn't it?" Ariyah let out a sigh and calmly spoke. "I mean, none of us here have crossed a dimension before. There are a lot of things to consider before doing a life-risking situation like this one."

"Yes, but it has been too long since those children have gone missing and now the shadow demons are attacking us. This is worth risking for," Grim said. "This isn't just about those children. This is also for the sake of the safety of this nation. They are a threat to us. I understand that diving into the unknown poses tremendous risks, and that is why I asked you this, to make plans and precautions."

There was contemplation in the headmistress' face but then she nodded her head.

"Okay. Considering that there are lives at stake and the safety of our nation is on the line, we'll assemble a team to prepare meticulously." Ariyah paused, gathering her thoughts. "And for that, we will help under one condition."

I secretly rolled my eyes. I knew it. She always had ulterior motives.

"What condition?" Grim asked.

"If we succeed in finding the missing children and saving them, which we will do everything that we can for it to happen, I want you to let your best men participate in our game to test their strength and abilities. Well, I think one of your people knows that this tournament is not dangerous and no one will die. Isn't that right, Aeryn Glaze?"

"Aeryn Glaze?" One of the councils got confused at the mere mention of my former family name.

When everyone had their eyes on me, I looked at the headmistress with a forced smile.

"Yes, of course."

Great. Now everyone on the team will wonder about my history.

Ariyah continued. "I didn't want to bring up about the tournament when we are talking about the lives of those missing children but I am confident that we can find them. We can get them back. However, I can only deploy my men if you agree to my condition. This isn't arrogance. This is me having faith in my mages and your men. If the higher being gave us this gift to save the world, then isn't it right to assume that we can do anything if we use our abilities in the right way? This is a risk, as you said earlier. And we're also taking it."

⋆⋅⋅⋅⊱∘──────∘⊰⋅⋅⋅⋆

Napagkasunduan namin na sumali kami sa tournament pagkatapos ng misyon. Hindi nga kami sigurado kung mabubuhay pa ba kami pagkatapos nito o makakabalik kami dito sa Erether. Kung mabigo kami sa misyon, posibleng muling atakihin ng mga shadow demons ang Erether.

Ilang araw din nagtagal ang prepasyon naming lahat at maraming mga mages ang sumali. And then finally, the day of the mission comes.

I wore a thin coat that goes down to my thighs, covering my black bodysuit outfit. I had a leg holster strapped with throw daggers in it and a short sword strapped on my thigh holster. I was with Jonah as we prepared the weapons we could use for the mission.