Chapter 21

We flew for a majority of the day, you'd think I would be tired. But I'm not, the anticipation of the battle is slowly killing me.

All I can do is bounce my leg and just wait.

We all decided it would be a great idea to land near a lake so the dragons can recharge their energy.

I would acknowledge its beauty if I wasn't currently staring at Liam talking to Violet. I'm sitting on a large boulder near the lake's edge gazing from Ast and Chradh who are drinking to my two friends.

Since the moment we left Basgiath I haven't been able to take my eyes off of him. It's like something is going to attack him any second now and I have to be ready.

Even Deigh has caught me staring at him a few times. I'm terrified for the two.

If I can't save the—no, I can't think like that. I will save them no matter what.

"I thought you liked Garrick, why do you keep looking at Liam?" A voice causes me to jump, my foot slips and I tumble off the boulder onto the dirt ground.

"Gods, don't scare me like that." I look up to see Imogen looking down at me.

I stand up, brushing off any dirt before sitting back onto the rock.

"I thought you would sense it since you seem to be on high alert. So tell me what has you staring at Liam so intently." She sits down to my left.

"What are you talking about? I'm just taking in the view of the lake." I deflect her accusation.

"Don't lie, you know it never turns out good for you. So spill or do you want me to force it out of you." She gives me a small glare.

"I'm afraid of what will happen once we reach Athebyne. I have a really bad feeling about this. We're near the borders, anything can happen." I try to explain as best as I can without giving anything away.

"What does Liam have to do with it?" She raises an eyebrow.

"I'm terrified for my friends, Imogen. If something bad happens to Liam, Vi, even you. I don't think I'd be able to live with myself. I'd probably go insane from the guilt." I gaze down at my hands.

That's why I need to save him no matter what. So I don't have to live with the fear that I killed Liam because I knew he was going to die.

"Don't think like that. Whether you like it or not, that's life and we have to do whatever we can to live. If one of us dies it isn't your fault and plus this is War Games, nothing too bad happens and I know you're strong enough to overcome them." She tries her best to comfort me.

"Thanks, Imogen. I'm glad that I have you by my side. But if something bad does happen please don't hate me. Can you be the person that believes me when no one else does?"

"Why would I hate you? Stop asking about nonsense. And yes, I'll trust you, I have so far and I haven't died yet." She lets out a small smile.

"Thank you." I lean my head against her shoulder, staring out at the lake. "Have you ever had a dream? Like something you really want to do." I ask her, as she leans her head slightly on mine.

"I haven't really thought about that. If I had to do something I would want to go on a picnic or something. Like this lake here, somewhere quiet where I can just eat, and not worry about what the world is going to throw next. I know it sounds dumb, doesn't it?" She turns her head a little to look at me.

"No, I think that's nice. Maybe someday I'll make it come true for you." I lift my head and smile.

"Yeah, maybe sometime after we graduate." She turns her head to look at the rest of the group. "Come on, let's go see what everyone else is doing."