Chapter 10

The next couple of days were spent learning how to ride Astrope.

I've gotten pretty good at being able to stay on her back.

Some of my fellow riders have also been receiving their signets.

"What do you think my signet will be?" I ask Ast.

"That all depends on you."

"Did you have any other riders? What were their powers?" As I walk by Rhiannon into the rotunda.

"I did but each of them was different. One had the ability to mend wounds with a single touch of their finger. Another had the ability to move things with their minds. In the end, it is up to you what your signet will be."

"I see, thank you for telling me about your previous riders. It must have been hard for you."

"It's all in the past and I don't like dwelling much on it." She cuts off her connection after that.

"Everything all right?" Rhiannon asks as Violet catches up to us.

"Dain is an ass—"

"Make it stop!" someone screams, rushing down the steps of the rotunda and holding his head. "For gods' sake, make it stop!" he shrieks, stumbling into the courtyard.

I put my guard up, lowering my right hand near my right thigh.

If I have to I'll remove the dagger in my boot.

Xaden casually puts himself just ahead of Violet, watching the scene unfold.

The crowd hollows, forming a circle around the first-year as he screams, clutching his head.

"Jeremiah!" someone shouts, coming forward.

"You!" Jeremiah spins, pointing his finger at the third-year. "You think I've lost it!" His head tilts, and his eyes flare. "How does he know? He shouldn't know!" His tone shifts, like the words aren't his own.

This is the scene where a first year dies because he can read minds. Whatever I do, I can't let him know who I am.

"And you!" He spins again, pointing at a second-year in First Wing. "What the hell is wrong with him? Why is he screaming?"

He turns again, focused on Dain. "Is Violet going to hate me forever? Why can't she see that I just want to keep her alive? How is he...? He's reading my thoughts!"

I narrow my eyes at him. I feel kind of bad for him, that he has no control over his signet.

"Oh gods," Violet whispers from in front of me.

Ridoc stumbles backward on my left—shoved aside—and I lean against a firm build.

"Make it stop! Can't any of you see? The thoughts won't stop!" He continues to panic.

I look up to see who I was standing against, only to see Garrick narrowing his eyes at the boy.

"Clear your thoughts. Think of the stars or your medicines, something that you don't care that everyone knows." Garrick looks down at me.

"And you!" Jeremiah turns, his gaze locking on Garrick.

He was about to find out what Garrick was thinking. I wouldn't mind to know but not in this way. Thoughts are too personal.
I quickly step in front of Garrick as the boy faces him.

Stars. Autumn's thistle. Pearl trees. Painting on the lake. Knitting a hat in winter. I list different things hoping to stop the boy from discovering anything too important from Garrick.