Chapter 42

"What a-" 

I tried to speak but he turned away from me, listening intently at the music. 

"Ah this is your favorite song right?" He held out his hand suddenly, turning to me with a charming smile, but once again his eyes were distant. "May I have this dance?" 

I listened to the introduction, this was not a song I recognize, but I like the tune. 

"Yes," I took his hand and did my curtesy curtsy, allowing him to guide me to the dance floor where we quickly assumed position. 

His hands were placed gently on my back and waist, his hands were not hot like Harken's but they were comfortingly warm. 

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions," he began, guiding me gracefully around the ballroom. It had been a lifetime since I practiced dancing, but he lead me around expertly, making it appear I knew what I was doing, "And I should start by introducing myself, my name is Bazen, and I used to be the embodiment of Xelnova." 

"You gave up your powers for me?" I questioned, "Why?" 

"We were friends in the past," he smiled again, his eyes growing even sadder if that was possible, "You visited here once, briefly on some sort of business, and we met." He paused, twirling me around, watching my every movement with a gentle gaze that seemed to get a tad warmer, "You taught me this dance believe it or not." 

"What?" I chuckled awkwardly, unsure how to react to this. He knew me from the past, a past that probably never come back into fruition. "I don't even know this song." 

"Oh," he was surprised, "I didn't think things would change this much, but in the past you didn't have scars when we met." 

"If we only knew each other for a little bit, why would you sacrifice so much for me?" I practically begged, not even realizing the song ending so soon. 

"Let's discuss outside, in the garden." He kept a hold on my hand has he guided me through the castle into the garden which had a large fountain despite the desert surroundings. It was so lush and full of life, I could feel the shear amount of spirits thriving in this concentrated area. 

"Wow," I couldn't help but gape at the beauty of the garden illuminated in the moonlight. 

"You had the same reaction," he commented, staring down at me with a wave of emotions. "Though at the time you were here on a mission rather than a ball, so you couldn't enjoy the garden." 

I turned to ask for clarifications, but met his ruby eyes that glistened from holding back tears. 

"Are you? Okay?" I ruffled through my dress's pockets, taking out a handkerchief and immediately reached to his face, not minding as he leaned into my touch. "Were we more than friends?" 

He chuckled humorlessly, covering up another emotion, "In a way, yes. But we never explored our relationship any further," he shrugged, gently moving my hand to guide me to the fountain, gesturing me to sit on the side of the wall. "I shouldn't talk about the past anymore, or I guess the future?" 

"I don't know anymore," I laughed, "Time travel is confusing." 

Mindlessly, I reached into the water, feeling the tiny rippling on my fingers. It was cold, but nice, reminding me how cold it was out here despite it being swelting during the day. 

Like reading my mind, Bazen placed his warm coat over my shoulders, taking his place sitting beside me, not staring at the water like me, given I could feel his gaze staring intently at my face. 

"May I?" He suddenly reached for my face, gesturing to take off my mask which I nodded slightly. He leaned forward, my nose tucking slightly in the crook of his neck as he untied the ribbon behind my head, gently removing the mask from my face and placed it between us. "You're so beautiful." 

I whipped my head towards him, not expecting him to suddenly compliment me like that. I met just a few moments ago but in a way he's known me for years. 

He suddenly reached back to my face, taking slow and gentle movements to stroke my cheek, rubbing the pad of his thumb over my scarred flesh. 

"Ahem." 

Bazen and I both turned to a furious-looking Harken who basically stomped over to us. 

"Lara, everyone is heading out, we should go," he grumbled, snatching up my mask and grabbed my hand rather roughly, giving me no time to respond before pulling me to my feet. Bazen's coat fell off my shoulders and into the water and I couldn't even say goodbye, just using my magic to pull the coat out and dry it off before we were out of the garden. 

"Harken!" I tried to yell, stumbling behind him from how fast he was walking, "Harken!" I snapped, yanking my hand back and causing him to stop, his back remained facing me, "What is your problem?!" 

"We should start heading back to the guild, we're going back home tomorrow," he grumbled, resuming his storming off down the hall, leaving me in the hallway by myself, clutching my wrist that still tingled from how hard he was gripping it. 

Turning back slightly, I caught sight of Bazen standing near the entrance of the garden, holding his coat on his arm, just staring at me. 

A strange feeling boiled in my stomach that rose to my chest then my face, making me remember that Harken was still holding onto my mask, and I didn't even realize that I slapped a hand over my scars and hurried after Harken to leave. 

I feel like I want to both scream and cry. 

A/N: Surprise! I have some free time between studying and I needed an outlet to destress so I hope you enjoy this chapter! 

Laraine is certainly becoming as stressed as I am right now ;)