10 | Distance

~~~~~~~~Ramya~~~~~~~

Its been 4  days since all those bad incidents happened. I am fully distressed about everything that is happening in my life.

For once I thought everything good will happen once I marry. But looks my strode of bad luck is passed on to Rajan and his family as well.

The initial 4 days of my life was a bliss. I did not have the thought of worrying about my luckiness. 

I kind of forgot about my ill fate after coming to this house. But it was all until that day. 

I still remember what all has happened that day, when his tyre got puncture. I gave him the mobile , and lunch with my  hands.

My father in law fell down and got hurt. Rajan was dismissed from work for fighting with his boss.

Adding to all that like a cherry on top of the cake, there is some problem with Sunita's inlaw. I don't know what it is. I saw Sunita crying. My inlaws shouting at Rajan. 

Seeing me they stopped in mid air shouting at Rajan. Not wanting to give awkward feeling to them because of me, I locked myself in to the room. 

I heard Sunita saying she will not marry. Rajan too seemed to be not in a good mood.

One hand, he has problems with his Sisters life. Her marriage is in next 2 months. On the other hand, he has lost his job.

I see him most of the time busy with attending some calls, probably some interview calls. Sitting down I speculated why this is all happening. Its all because of me. I am the unlucky person. 

If I had not given him his lunch box/mobile while leaving, he would not have lost his job. If he had not seen me while leaving, he would not have lost his job. 

Had I not given my jewels to him with my hands, wait,my jewel itself is unlucky. If I had not given mine, Sunita's life would not be in danger like this. 

How did I easily forget about my luck and gave my jewels to her. I should have thought about it enough before doing all this. 

I decided to distance myself from him. To not look at him. I stopped  my usual routine of arranging his things or making things ready for him whenever he leaves. 

I always hide from him. Silently doing the work, not bothered to talk with anyone, living in my own nest, hiding from others. Not in a position to face my in laws,  I silently cried.

Though they have not blamed me directly yet about what all has happened till now, I don't want to face them. They might talk about me at the back is my thought. 

I felt so dejected with me and my life.  I even started sleeping on the floor than on cot with him. I would retire to my room only at late night, after he has slept and wake up early next day. 

There had been times when Rajan asked me to do certain things, which would require me coming to face him.

 But I politely escaped from all that, and find some or the other way to set his things. I don't think he understands my situation.

Sometimes I feel like he is giving me work purposefully. Still I managed to escape from his eyes.

 Today, when I entered our room, he was sitting on the bed looking in to some papers and books. 

Seeing him, I started moving away, but his stern voice made me stop on track. He caught hold of me trying to escape from his vicinity.

This guy... How did he notice me coming without lifting his eyes from the paper? I wondered.

"why are you behaving like this Ramya? What has happened to you? What is this odd behaviour of yours trying to hide from me?" he asked with exasperation.

"Its all because of me and my  bad luck, all the negative things were happening. I am ok to leave the house.

That is the best option. Only then all good things will happen" I spoke with tears starting to glisten my eyes.

"ama... unnala dhan ellam nadakudhu.. veeta vita poydu seriya.  ellam seriya nadkaum" 

(yes, its all because of you ,everything is happening. You leave the house and everything good will happen) he spoke .

My sniffing grew heavily and started as big cry. His phone rang at that time. Rajan asked me to hand him the phone which was on the table, near the place where I was standing.

I nodded my head in denial.

"Will you just hand me the phone?" he asked with a raised voice.

"I am always a bad luck for you.. I will not touch any of your things" 

"pcch.. will you give me my phone or not?" he shouted and I flinched.

With no option left, I gave him the phone and left the place. 

But hearing him shouting at me, my heart clenched. At, least I thought he will pacify me not to talk like that. But here he is acknowledging my previous thoughts. 

I went to the backyard and cried silently. I don't want my in laws to blame me for crying in the house. Minutes later, I saw him tucked up in neat formals and leaving the house.

Seeing him coming out of the room, I know he is going to attend some interview. 

I tried to hide myself in to the other room. A minute later, I opened the  door and  peeped out  to see if he has gone. But there he was standing outside the door right in front of me.

For a second I felt like I got a heart attack. Seeing me he left immediately. For what reason he was standing there I don't know.  

I can't help him falling in to my unlucky trap. I warned him but he does not seem to pay heed to what I say.

Let him go and face the situation I thought. I literally prayed to God that nothing bad should happen to him.

Once he left, I locked myself in to my room. I cried heavily not wanting to come out. At noon, Sunita knocked the door for me to have the lunch. But I denied it. 

I was sitting in side my room lonely and fell asleep after some time. After few hours I woke to the sound of my cell phone ringing. I attended it. It was a call from my office HR regarding my new project allocation.

From morning to evening, I was inside my room and did not come out. My hungry stomach made me come out. I don't know if there is anything left or not, at least I could take some water to quench my thirst. 

With that thought, I opened the door. I saw Satheesh (Sunita's fiance) in the hall room talking with Sunita and my inlaws. Sunita was seen standing near the kitchen door, her face had marks of her tears.

Uff.. why is the situation always bad. I gave up the idea of drinking water and retired to my room back. 

Few hours later, I came back to the kitchen to prepare some coffee at least for me to handle the headache.

When I came out, I saw Sunita carrying something in her hands. Upon seeing me she immediately hid her hand behind her. 

"pcch... amma, I am on an important work. I don't want anyone to wander around here and spoil it. Better to remain in the room and come out only when we say " shouted Sunita to her mom.

I know for whom that statement is for. There it goes, they have started showing their true colors.

Hiding my tears, I quickly sauntered to my room with the coffee and locked the door. Few minutes later I slept in my room, without bolting it, as Rajan would come at anytime. 

In my deep slumber some one woke me up. I found Rajan standing near me. 

"Come and serve me the dinner"

I was actually very tired as I have not had anything since morning. "could you please ask Sunita to serve you?" came my feeble voice.

"you are married to me. So come and do the deed of serving me the dinner" came his voice harshly. 

With lot of frustration and irritation at him, I stood up. He caught hold of my hand and literally dragged me out of the room, making my eyes go wide open at his gesture.