14. Ash

Despite the throbbing ache in my head, I insisted I was fine, just a few stitches and a bit of a scare. "Papa, I really need to sort out that issue at the store," I reasoned with him as he hovered worriedly by my bedside. "The doctor said I'm good to go home, and I promise I'll take it easy."

Papa's frustration was evident as he tried to convince me to stay put. "Darling, I just want to be sure you're truly okay. You took a nasty knock on the head; it could've been much worse."

"Did I die?" I countered.

Papa sighs looking straight at me. "Ash,"

"I'm alive, Papa. And besides, I haven't had any headaches. Let's just go home, and if you're still worried, we'll consult with the family physician."

Reluctantly, Papa relented, cancelling his appointments for the day. Once home, our family physician and even the New Jersey Devil's team physician examined me, confirming what the hospital doctor had said-I was completely fine, no signs of concussion.

To ease Papa's concerns, I decided to take it easy for a while, letting him handle the store issue while Mother Shelly kept me updated. Thankfully, there were no security breaches or thefts; just a freak accident with the glass ceiling. I sighed in frustration, wishing the insurance process would move faster.

As I headed to the kitchen for some stress-relief in the form of chocolate chip ice cream, our family nurse intercepted me, her expression a mix of surprise and worry.

"Miss Ash, you really shouldn't be up and about," she chided gently.

I shrugged off the nurse's concerns, making a beeline for the kitchen. Passing through the living room, a knock on the door shattered my focus.

The nurse trailed behind me persistently.

Opening the door, I was met with Jack Hughes, holding a basket of fresh fruits. "What the hell are you doing here, Mr. Hughes?"

Surprise registered on his face as he scanned me from head to toe. "Why aren't you resting? You're still not okay!"

"And who gets to decide that I am not okay? You?" I retorted sarcastically. "So let me ask you again, what are you doing here?"

"To check on you, obviously, and to see if you're okay," he replied, gesturing for the nurse to take the basket. I didn't protest; the grapes looked tempting. I'll eat it once he leaves. "What for?"

I raised an eyebrow. And as soon as the nurse takes the fruits, I ordered her to leave us alone.

"Can you at least let me in?" Jack pleaded, but I shut the door behind me, keeping us outside.

"What's your agenda, Mr. Hughes? This isn't just about the jewelry anymore, is it?" I challenged.

He smirked, catching me off guard. His smile was unexpectedly captivating. "I'm just dropping off these fruits, making sure you're alright before I head to Boston for a game. And to let you know that I have already closed the payment for the customized jewelry, even though I haven't decided on the design yet."

"Mm-hmm," I responded, crossing my arms.

He chuckled. "And yeah, maybe I'm hitting on you, but with good intentions if you give me a chance."

"I don't date," I stated firmly. "So, stop with the games."

"What if I don't?" he countered.

"Why not?"

"Because I always get what I want," he said, his tone serious.

I was stunned, unable to move or think clearly, especially as I met his intense gaze. Before I could react, Jack closed the distance between us and kissed me passionately. It was unlike any other kiss I'd experienced before-- leaving me speechless.

He pulled back, smirking, and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Rest up. I'll see you around, gorgeous."

As he walked away, I stood there, rooted to the spot, trying to comprehend what had just happened.