Ch. 13: You're Nothing

Start from the beginning

"You are the big, bad guy in my story," I state.

He squares his gaze with mine, his stare is dark and lingering on my body.

"It's not a debate, wife," he jeers, his face twisting in disgust at the word.

"I'm not your wife yet."

"You'll be soon." His forehead wrinkles as he tilts his head, inspecting my face. "Why are you standing? Have a seat?" He pats the headrest of the couch with a large, veiny hand that has me distracted for a second. "You want me to massage your feet? Maybe give you a head massage? Anything that your majesty would want?"

There is mockery written all over his handsome face. I drop my hands from around me, straightening my spine in an attempt to appear intimidating too.

"Stop mocking me," I say, clenching my fists. "It wasn't my choice to faint."

Gabriel squints his eyes as if in deep thought. "Sitting in the rain reading a book in a lonely graveyard sounds like a very voluntary and active way to faint to me. Do you disagree, wife?"

"You're despicable."

"It's my pleasure to see you worked up."

I smirk. "I thought you wanted to see me worked up in other ways."

That makes him go silent for a while. I see him fighting a twitch in the edge of his jaw, his hands sliding into his dress pockets before he walks around the couch in slow, controlled steps.

He nears me and I stay on my spot, craning my neck to look at him the closer he comes.

He stops when the tips of his toes touch my own. The air crackles between us with an untamed fire licking at the edge of something volatile.

"Is that an invitation, Senorita?" Gabriel coos, lifting a hand to flick a lock of my hair bouncing against my cheekbone. "My cock's ready to indulge in all your demands. I'm feeling quite charitable tonight."

I slap his hand away, irritated by his cockiness.

"You—" I start but his phone buzzes just then, cutting through the sound of the rain beating on all sides of the cottage we are in.

Gabriel draws it out of his pocket, placing a finger on his lips to gesture to me to remain silent.

He receives the call.

"Did he say anything?" he asks the person on the other end. There is a hurriedly spoken response from the other end I don't make out. "Good. I'll talk to him tomorrow. Keep an eye on him tonight. He's an asset. Don't let anyone near him."

Whatever he says piques my curiosity. He cuts the call, and I am quick to ask.

"Who was it?"

Gabriel shoves his phone back into his pocket.

"None of your concern," he answers.

"That's not fair."

"What?"

I cross my arms defiantly, hating the fact that he treats me like a teenager sometimes.

I am only four years younger than him!

"Helene says I need to know everything about your life as the Don. If you don't share things with me, it makes things difficult. I can't bring myself to trust you."

He snorts at my response, followed by a click of his tongue.

"Who says I trust you, Senorita?" he counters, inclining an eyebrow.