"I have a preferred route."

"Yeah, and it happens to be the most inconvenient one."

"I want to say hi to my mom anyways."

"Say hi to her next period."

"It's inconvenient next period."

"And it isn't now?" I laugh in disbelief.

"Let me have your backpack."

"No." I start to walk away.

"Fine," Ahaan grins. I ignore him and keep walking- more so speed walking. However, in an instant, he intertwined his fingers with mine and tuck out hands away in his hoodie pocket.

"Ahaan, this is embarrassing!" I say in a hushed but panicked whisper.

"Why? No one can see us holding hands." He points to the pocket with his eyes.

"It's pretty obvious when my arm is sticking from your hoodie."

"Your fault. I told you to give me your backpack. This is the only other way I can keep you hostage," he shrugs smugly.

"It's awkward to walk like this," I pull our hands and Ahaan starts to whine. However, when I keep holding his hand, letting it dangle between the two of us, Ahaan grows quiet and silently smiles to himself.

We reach Mrs. Malhotra's class and Ahaan attempts to walk in with our hands still together, but I pull him back.

"Okay, now you have to let go."

Ahaan pauses. "After we get to your seat," he insists, trying to walk in once again, but I pull him back.

"Ahaan, it's awkward for me to hold your hand in front of your mom."

"Too late," Mrs. Malhotra giggles, walking past us into the class with a pile of paper in her hands.

"She already saw."

"You're going to be late, Ahaan," I scold.

"One more thing," he demanded.

"Fine, but afterwards you have to go."

"A kiss."

"What?"

"A kiss." He leans in and points to his cheek.

"No." I shot it down immediately.

Still, Ahaan stood stubbornly, poking at his cheek while classmates walked by and looked at his display whispering. I waited until they were gone and for the hallways to be relatively empty to bring the hand I was still holding and give it was quick kiss. Ahaan, pleased, finally let go of my hand.

"I saw that too," Mrs. Malhotra grinned, poking her head out from the door.

"Hi, Mom," Ahaan chuckles, ruffling his hair in sudden embarrassment.

"Why are you embarrassed. You asked Ishqi to kiss you," Mrs. Malhotra teased.

"Mom, stop," Ahaan groans.

"Get to class."

"Wanna write me a pass so I'm not yelled at for being late?"

"Nope! Come on in, Ishqi. Bye, Ahaan. Good luck. Don't run in the halls." Mrs. Malhotra leads me into the class, leaving Ahaan scrambling to not be late.

When I came in with my face all red, everyone seem to assume I had gotten in trouble with Mrs. Malhotra. I let them keep believing it.

Came Saturday, I still refused to get my hair or nails done. Instead, I opted to stay in my bed, watching cooking shows and eating strawberries with Wilbur.