23: Double Date

Ishqi pov

"Hi."

"Hi," I awkwardly respond, staring in surprised at the sight of Vamika at my front door. Even in winter, where people have to cover themselves in bulky clothing Vamika manages to still look like she's on the cover of a magazine. Though, unlike her usually confident and perky self, she awkwardly shuffles in her tan fleece boots.

"Do you mind if we talk?" she softly asks.

"Yeah, sure." I step aside to let her in, but Vamika shyly points behind her.

"Outside?"

"Oh, okay. Let me grab my coat." In a hurry, I settle for the smallest one of my dad's, since I can't find my own. Compared to Vamika, who looks like someone strutting down the streets of New York City with fancy organic coffee in hand, I look more like a trucker who is too cheap to even pay for Starbucks.

I follow Vivian outside and we walk alongside each other on the sidewalk.

"I wanted to apologize, Ishqi."

"Why? You already did."

"Yeah, but that was over text. I felt like we're still not on good terms."

"No, its just because I'm naturally awkward. Nothing's wrong," I try to assure her, though, partly to assure myself.

"I really want us to start next year as we used to be."

"Yeah, of course."

"So, please don't feel awkward about what happened this year."

"I won't. "

"Then, can you promise me something?"

"What?"

"I want to make it up to you."

"No, you didn't anything wrong. You don't have to," I insisted.

"Meet me at the diner near the mall tomorrow. The one we like to go to."

"Sure, but why?"

"Don't ask. I'll text you the time. And bring Ahaan. Oh, and dress cute."

"Okay..." I hesitantly agree.

"Don't worry. I have something romantic planned for you."

Romantic?

Once Vamika left, I wouldn't help but wonder what she meant. Something romantic for me? Bring Ahaan? Did she realize I liked him? And she is okay with it?

I felt guilty and shameful for liking the same guy she does, or maybe did. Maybe, she found someone else and set up a double date. Was it finally alright for me to like Ahaan?

A rush of euphoria filled me to the brim and I excitedly fell back onto my lawn and spread and my legs and arms across the snow. Squealing, I tucked my arms across my chest and repeatedly rolled back and forth. I continued to do this until my dad came out to shovel the driveway, puzzled by my odd and public misplay of emotions I let the neighbours and passing cars witness. This was coming from a girl who is afraid to ask for help from a store clerk.

The following day, I braved myself to get out of my comfort zone and wear a cute, green, knitted sweater that I got as a present years ago. Even more brazen of a decision was to wear a black, pleated skirt. Of course, I'm not that brave, so I accompanied it with black tights. The thought of today being possibly the first official date between Ahaan and me caused the urge to wake up early and even to my hair into a bun. Finishing my outfit, I made sure to wear the necklace Ahaan gave me, centring the pendent so it was visible to him. Since today was supposed to be a surprise, I didn't say anything about Vamika planning it, nor did I say what the plans were for the day.