The Youngest Pair

Start from the beginning

Her hands trembled as she accidently knocked the bowl on the floor. That's why she hated one on one conversation with Maximus without anyone present. She was always on edge. Before she could crouch down. Maximus was there to help her.

"I think, I should go to my room."

Shaira said abruptly. Her eyes everywhere but not on him. Maximus hands halted as he looked at her.

"But I thought we were making pasta?"

Shaira stopped in her tracks as her eyes widen. She had never heard him talking in such a soft mellowed voice. Her eyes were wide with shock.

"What? Don't you have a tradition to cook pasta and eat it while cursing Dexton's bad mouthers-I mean- telling harsh reality to the company owners?"

Maximus asked putting up bowl in its original place and shrugging his shoulders.

"I don't curse and that is personal thing."

Shaira mouth swindled on her own accord.

"Yes, Shaira and I really want to eat your pasta, can we make it please?"

Shaira eyes were on him. On his every move. She was nervous but that puppy look face on him looked quite odd. Afterall, He was the most stoic outside yet most playful inside the house.

She sighed as she retreated her path. 

"Can you please chop the veggies; we are making penne."

.....

After half an hour later, they both settled down on the table with their pasta and a cup of orange juice. Shaira was less jittery now. The atmosphere was quite yet Shiara could feel tension. They were eating peacefully as Shaira sat there playing with her food.

A sudden clank as Shaira hand stopped when she saw Maximus sighing and putting his fork back and looking straight at her.

"Did I do something wrong?"

Shaira didnot say anything as she don't know how to respond to that.

"Or is it me, champ?"

Shaira eyes widen as she saw a helpless look coming on his face. A look with pure regret. She knew that look as it was same as hers. When she is about to cry.

"Its nothing, Maximus. It just.."

Shaira wanted to lie but her mind didn't made up any words.

"It's just what?"

Shaira head ducked down. She had somewhat conquered her feeling around everyone. Taking her resentment and locking it away from everyone but not in front of him. The very first time in the last few months, Shaira was feeling this.
Her hand subconsciously rubbed her heart

"Are you afraid of me?"

Maximus voice was soft. His eyes were on her. One look at Shaira's rabbit wide eyes. He knew.

"You are."

Maximus eyes widened as Shaira hand fisted. She was controlling herself.

"Why champ? I just need a reason. If you want reassurance. I would never ever hurt you again. Just like your brothers. I will be your protector."

Shaira's head ducked down as she looked at her fisted hands. She had fears but in course of time, she had realised. She always won them over. She was a warrior. She was afraid too but who isn't in this world.

Everyone is afraid about one thing or another. They all walk with their own fears. They don't quit living just because of that and the strongest ones even overcome their fears. Shaira was not strongest but she was not the weakest too.