Night Training: Part 1

Today's lesson revolved around the topic of Eldritch and the natural habitats in which they are found. Mr. Kim began the lecture by talking about Eldritch located within the ocean. He started by telling the class about Shark Eldritch and how they usually travel and work alone. Mr. Kim even mentioned that they are fast swimmers underwater, but they can transform their fins into limbs and travel on land. During the lesson, he showed the class pictures of Shark Eldritch underwater and on land. He also showed them a video of a group of Slayers pushing back a Shark Eldritch as it was trying to climb over a waterfront. As the class watched the video, some students sat in silence while others were taking notes.

After an hour, the bell rang and the students began to gather their belongings and leave the room. As they left, Mr. Kim said, "We will continue our study on aquatic Eldritch the next time we meet. Don't forget!"

As Cody was putting his books in his bag, he was about to get up from his seat when he felt a hand on his left shoulder. Turning to his left, he looked up to see Jackson smiling at him. Next to him, Milo zipped his backpack closed and stood up from his seat.

"I'll wait for you outside," Milo said before he exited the classroom.

As Milo exited the classroom, Cody raised an eyebrow at Jackson and asked, "Do you need anything?"

"Just wanted to say congratulations on getting on the Hero's Board," Jackson replied as the dark-haired boy hung his head and groaned exasperatedly. With a frown, he said, "What? Did I say something?"

"No," Cody replied. "I just didn't want to be on the Hero's Board."

"Why not? You helped save a lot of people at Hawk Tower, dude."

"I know," Cody said with a sigh. "I didn't mean to get so much attention and praise after that day. I was just doing what anyone would do, you know. Now, I'm being swarmed by almost everyone here at school! I appreciate the gifts, but the big crowds, I hate it!"

"You're one of those introverts, I see," Jackson remarked.

"Sure, what I did was what everyone thought was a good deed, but do I deserve this kind of treatment?"

With a chuckle and grin, Jackson said, "Of course you do, Cody! If anything, I think you've earned it!"

"I earned it?" Cody looked up at the sky-blue-haired boy.

"Yeah! What you did then was so cool and selfless. I mean, the rest of us helped stabilize the tower before it could fall into the parking lot, but you're the main highlight, man! A lot of people got to live another day because of you!"

Cody blinked at Jackson, not knowing how to respond.

"You're a hero, Cody! Own it!" With that, Jackson let go of the other boy's shoulder and walked to the door with his hands in his pockets.

Watching the sky-blue-haired boy leave the room, Cody sat in his seat in silence. Then, he looked down at his desk and muttered to himself, "I'm a hero, huh?"

~~~~~

A week later, Cody's night training began. It was Monday night at eight when Cody packed his essentials, such as a water bottle, extra clothes, running shoes, towels, and a first aid kit. While filling his bag, he realized that he was missing his phone and remembered that he had given it to Emma when they were at Hawk Tower. With wide eyes, he thought to himself, No wonder I felt like I was missing something! But then, he took a deep breath and picked his bag from the floor, mentally making a reminder to go see Emma when he found her. Slinging his bag over his shoulder, Cody looked at Milo, who was sleeping in his respective bunk. He couldn't help but smile as he saw how peaceful his friend slept.