Chapter {43} Destiny

Start from the beginning

But, I had destroyed all of that. Oh, only if I had known how a single moment of anger could cause a lifetime of pain.

 I watched as the sun set over the horizon, Thato had not been home for the entire day. Had something happened to her? 

Father, please command your angels over her.

Suddenly, my cellphone started ringing and my heart started racing. Perhaps it was Thato. The words that I wanted to say for the entire day were stuck in my throat and I was tongue-tied but I took hold of my phone and brought it to my ear without bothering to check the caller ID. I did not want my nerves to get the best of me, prohibiting me from answering the call.

"Hello."

" Amore, where are you right now?" Oh, it was Nio, his voice reaching me like a gentle breeze, stirring within me a complex blend of emotions. At that moment, I found myself caught between the relief of hearing his voice and the frustration that threatened to spill from knowing that Thato was not the person at the other end of the call.

"I am currently sitting at home," I replied, fully aware of the concern that must have been gnawing at Nio's heart. After all, I had recently shared my plans to take my belongings and go on a journey to permanently live with him. However, this had intervened, spinning everything in a bewildering one-hundred-and-eighty-degree turn.

"Very well, I will send someone to come and pick you up because I'm still busy with something important," he responded in his efficient manner, his urgency palpable even through the other end of the call. Before he could abruptly conclude our conversation, an impulse seized me, demanding that I share a revelation.

"However, I must tell you that today I will not be able to come to your house. I am still waiting patiently for Thato's return, yet she has not yet returned and she is not returning my calls," I lamented, burdened by the weight of remorse that demanded expression. "So, I find it necessary to apologize for my behaviour and rash judgment towards her."

"Apologize? For what? What have you done?" Nio enquired though he held a demeanour of calmness, yet I discerned the undercurrent of agitation that surged within him. Indeed, my safety was his number one priority as he had said more times than one.

"I regretfully fired false accusations upon her, unjustly painting her with a coat of jealousy towards my life," I confessed, my voice heavy with shame. A torrent of tears welled up, cascading down my cheeks, a testament to the profound remorse that enveloped me. "I accused her of coveting the affection that you have with me," I whispered, my voice barely audible.

Nio emitted a deep sigh, his breath laden with a mix of compassion and exasperation. "Do not succumb to the torrents of tears, Destiny. you are unfortunately letting your emotions blind your thoughts, you are not thinking rationally. I mean that just yesterday amore, you spoke of how Thato had betrayed you, expressing how you had intentions to sever all ties with her. Which is why I am asking where this sudden change of mind stems from."

"Well, today, as I immersed myself in the sacred verses of the Bible, I came across a verse that revealed how I was the one in the wrong, how I shouldn't have accused her in the first place," I explained, my words infused with a newfound sense of enlightenment. The spiritual guidance I had received had exposed the error of my ways, instilling within me a profound realization of the need for repentance and rectification.

"So, you mean to tell me that you read the Bible and that was all you required to make a one-hundred and eighty-degree turn?" 

Was that meant to be a rhetorical question? And why did it sound so scornful?

Nevertheless, I replied with as much love as I could conjure, "Yes, it caused me to change my mind because the Word of the Lord is God-breathed and it speaks life. The Bible never lies, for it comes from the mouth of the Lord. It directs, leads and guides as  2 Timothy 3:16-17 says;