XIII: Growing Apart

"I cannot wait to see him again, Lissa," Kristen gushed to her maidservant. She sat in front of her dresser getting her hair done. "I'm sure he's been thinking of me. I just know it."

"You're very lucky, your Highness," Lissa observed. "He comes from a very respectable family, that one. And he is ever so handsome."

"But he's mine," Kristen snapped, and Lissa recoiled momentarily. "Of course, your Highness. I meant no offense. I've already got one of my own, anyway." A satisfied smile settled on Kristen's features. "Good. Because I won't let anyone else have him."

As if it had been summoned, she was suddenly reminded of that face. She had seen it again, recently, but there was still no clue as to why she recognized it. She never could remember it quite clearly enough to tell. It was incredibly frustrating.

She decided it was time she said something to her mother. The moment Lissa had finished fixing her hair, she bolted for the throne room, where her mother, Queen Elen, awaited her. "Ah. You're ready, then?" Said the queen.

"Yes, Mama. But first-- I've been meaning to ask you something that's been on my mind lately."

"Oh? What is it?"

"I want to know what happened to my sister." Once she had begun, the questions began to pour out uncontrollably. "Is she alive? Where is she? Why did she go away? Will I ever see her again?" The queen silenced her with an outstretched hand, and quietly replied, "Your sister is alive. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you where she is. No one must know. It is the only way to keep her safe. As for why we sent her away, I cannot reveal that either. Only that it was for her own protection. That is all I can tell you."

"But--"

"The matter is closed, Kristen. Now, let's go." Though she normally sent Kristen with a courier as escort, Elen chose to deliver her personally this time. She wanted to see Garret's parents again. As they rode, Kristen thought of another question she had. "Mama?"

"Yes, darling?"

"You never told me why Daddy died. What happened?" Elen drew her horse to a halt, fixing Kristen with a frosty glare. "I do believe I told you never to mention your father's death, Kristen. And I did tell you what happened. He was ill."

"But how? He was always incredibly healthy. How could he have--" her voice faltered under her mother's withering scowl. "That's enough of that, Kristen. I do not wish to talk about it. You're more than welcome to talk about anything else, but not that."

They rode the rest of the way to Ranha in silence, Elen thoughtful, Kristen fuming.

                      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I gently massaged the cow's udder the way my dad had shown me a hundred times, preparing it for milking. Was she thinking of me? I began to squeeze and pull, squeeze and pull, squeeze and pull. The milk came easily, splashing noisily into the bucket. Would I see her again? As I settled into a rhythm, every thought kept leading back to Thalia.

Sand Girl.

Grass Boy. You're not funny, you know.

She had invaded every last corner of my mind, this mysterious girl in my dreams. Which is why when Dad informed me that Kristen was visiting again, I grew anxious. I realized with astonishment that I hadn't given her a thought since the dreams began.

I found myself very glad that Thalia was so far away, for her own sake. If Kristen learned of our acquaintance, well-- let's just say I didn't want to find out what she might do. And then I drifted away again, lost in the memory of those deep blue eyes that seemed to pierce my very soul.