III. Enemies To Lovers Is Written In The Stars, Apparently

Start from the beginning

She sighed, then side stepped Eva to the left. She reached forward and began rummaging around her necklace tree. She pulled out a double necklace, the first of which was a silver chain choker with a dangling North Star, and below with a smaller silver chain adorning a crescent moon.

"You wore that to Dad's funeral," Eva noted.

She froze, as if the words Eva muttered were taboo.

"Sorry, I..."

Oma shook her head. She pulled Eva's hair to the side and put the necklace on her.

Eva pulled her hair free from under the necklace.

"It looks beautiful on you, Lovey. Wear it for me. Impress that boy."

"Oma—"

"You're going to come back talking circles around me about him, I just know it. Two weeks, Evangeline. You're going to have so much fun."

Eva nodded. She checked the time on her phone. "We should probably go now, huh? Got three hours till boarding starts."

Oma nodded. "I think there's something your grandfather wanted to give you, outside."

The two Rocker women left the master bedroom and came to the front of the house. The front door opened just as Eva dipped to grab her bags.

Opa entered, his face hard. He was wearing slacks with his Armani's. A homemade leather belt with a large chrysoprase belt buckle hung around his hips. He was wearing a pressed button down, and his large, circular driving glasses. His watch, which he usually wore around his right wrist, was held tightly in his hands.

"Eva, just the young lady I was looking for."

Eva froze in her spot, glancing up at her grandfather. "Yes?"

He held out the watch.

Eva stared at it, confused.

"Take it. You won't have your phone, and without this you'll be helpless in the real world."

She hesitantly reached out her hand, grasping the watch.

"Well, put it on."

She slid the watch over her wrist, where it hung somewhat loose against her skin. Opa nodded at her and she held out her wrist, watching intently as he tightened it somewhat.

"Good. Don't lose it."

"Thanks..."

Opa bent over and picked up one of her bags, leading the two Rocker women out to the garage. He placed both of her bags into the trunk, and ushered the girls into the car. Eva slid into the backseat as Opa started the car.

"You got everything you need?"

"Yep," She responded, placing an earbud into her ear.

~~~

Cinnabon in one hand and her other dragging her carry on behind her, Eva and her grandparents approached the gate. Eva sighed as she paused the music and closed out of all her apps. She hesitantly reached her phone out for Oma to take. Oma's cold hands met Eva's warm ones, but the younger didn't let go.

"How are you going to fare without music?" Oma asked.

Opa cleared his throat. "Do you some good to stay in the present and not disappear under the cover of music."

Eva finally let go of her phone, feeling an empty hole in her heart.

"Headphones too," Opa said.

Eva pouted as she handed them over.