SoulMingle

"Dude, you have got to check this out!" Alan waved his phone in front of McCrae's face. 

"It's this hot new dating app called SoulMingle. Their matching algorithms are insane - they guarantee you'll find 'the one' or it's free for life! You need this, man."

McCrae squinted at the flashy app homepage promising perfect romantic matches. He had tried what felt like every dating platform under the sun since his divorce last year but only ended up with hilariously bad dates. What did he have to lose at this point?

"Get me set up, Al," McCrae said with an optimistic shrug.

McCrae toggled open the app that weekend while kicking back with a beer. One profile immediately caught his eye - Serenity105. Her photo showed a sweet smile that crinkled around deep brown eyes, framed by wavy dark hair. Her bio described a Middle Eastern and Italian background, a love for cultural events and theatre, and a magazine editing job - very relatable interests for McCrae. 

"Bingo," he murmured.

Serenity replied enthusiastically to his chat message. Over the next week, they discovered endless commonalities from food to films to dreams of travel adventures together one day. By the next weekend, McCrae felt ready to meet his match in person.

They planned to meet for tapas at a cozy restaurant downtown. McCrae arrived early and secured a corner booth. Right on time, he noticed a woman lingering in the entryway. Heart quickening, he raised his hand to wave. The woman broke into a smile as she floated towards him.

"McCrae?" She tilted her head coyly.

"I'm Serenity, so wonderful to finally meet you."

McCrae stood to give an awkward half-wave, half-hug greeting. 

"Wow, you look incredible. It's nice to meet you. Can't believe we're finally..." His voice trailed off as he was captivated by Serenity's beauty and enigma.

McCrae blinked hard. Serenity seemed unfazed, gazing up at him pleasantly.

"S-sorry," McCrae stammered. "Let's sit?"

McCrae couldn't believe his luck. Serenity was even more charming and quick-witted in person than online. As the tapas plates piled up, she regaled him with tales of her quirky coworkers and ambition to travel the world writing about new cultures and cuisine. He found himself revealing hopes he had not voiced in years.

"I feel like I've told you my whole life story!" Serenity laughed. 

McCrae smiled. "You know more about me than most."

Her eyes gentled. "Past heartbreaks make us who we are, right?"

McCrae felt suddenly self-conscious about dominating his wallowing tales after his divorce. "Tell me more about you," he pivoted. 

"Any past relationships?"

Serenity glanced down, smile fading slightly. "Oh, just one serious boyfriend in college. We wanted different things though." She brushed a crumb from the tablecloth. "My family can be kind of demanding, you know? Traditional values and all that."

McCrae nodded, hoping he hadn't touched a nerve.

"It's silly," she sighed, "but I had a huge fight with them the night before..." Her voice trailed off.

"Before...?" McCrae prompted.

"Hmm, my mind is drawing a blank!" Serenity forced a too-bright laugh. "Anyway, my family and I don't always agree. But I try not to dwell on arguments."

She shot him a vulnerable look then and McCrae felt an overwhelming urge to reach for her hand. But she quickly moved it to lift her wine glass and sipped.

Over another bottle, they skipped to lighter topics like dreaming up the perfect cross-country road trip together. McCrae marveled at how easily the conversation flowed as if they had known each other for years instead of hours.

Reluctantly, McCrae paid the check as the restaurant lights dimmed. He helped Serenity slide her arms into her sleek trenchcoat. She floated beside him, steps feather light compared to his leaden hesitation to end this perfect evening.

Outside the fall air nipped cheekily at their faces. Serenity paused, turning towards McCrae with an indecipherable look. In her low heels, they stood nearly eye-to-eye.

"Have you ever felt like you're forgetting something vitally important?" She searched his face. 

"Something you want to remember but can't?"

McCrae noticed a thin scar curving near her left temple half-hidden among the tumbling locks. He imagined brushing it gently with his thumb.

"Sure, sometimes things slip our minds," he offered instead, hands firmly in his coat pockets. "Maybe sleep on it? I find memories resurface in dreams."

"Sleep..." Serenity whispered. 

She tilted her head up towards the inky sky, stars reflecting in her dark irises. McCrae suddenly wondered if she had anywhere to stay tonight. He wavered on the precipice of inviting her back to his place, propriety wrestling desire.

A passing couple bumped his shoulder, jolting the moment. When McCrae glanced back, Serenity was watching the retreating couple with an inexplicably mournful look.

McCrae leaned closer. "Serenity...are you okay?"

She blinked slowly as if surfacing from a trance, eyes glistening. 

"McCrae, what if I told you nothing has felt real since the night my family and I argued?" Her voice caught. 

"What if I said the memory cut off right after I went to my room and smelled something strange?"

Unease pricked his stomach as she widened her eyes beseechingly.

"We were so angry. I took my phone and curled up in bed trying to tune it all out. But that odd smell wouldn't leave my nose. Almost like..." she grappled for language, "burning? Then everything goes blank."

She gripped her arms, gaze pleading yet far away. "Why can't I remember, McCrae?"

He noticed then how pale Serenity looked under the streetlights, skin almost translucent. The implications sank like lead in his gut. No, it wasn't possible...

"Serenity." McCrae swallowed hard. "When was the last time you looked in a mirror?"

She recoiled. For an instant, her outline seemed to shimmer oddly.

Then she lunged forward, fingers clawing for his face. "Look at me, McCrae. Tell me what you see!" she cried desperately.

He stood rigid, cheeks bloodless. Slowly she released her grip, following his horrified gaze downwards. Her own hands had taken on a faint but unmistakable glow.

They raised their heads in unison. McCrae knew then from her stricken expression. But only a whisper crossed Serenity's fading lips:

"I'm dead...aren't I?"