XXIV

The Radien Equine slowed as it neared a familiar building. At the end of a small road was a concrete structure of considerable height, and from Edin's angle, all that could be seen of it were its magnificent columns and the steps that led up to them. It was here where he was dropped off during his first test to become a guardian. This time, he had to drive himself.

Edin navigated to a parking lot at the side of the building. Half of it was under the shade, and by the time Edin would be done with his test, no space would be unexposed to the Sun. He parked deep within the building's shadow, then got out and locked the doors.

Buzz. Edin fumbled his phone from his pocket. It was a text from Rowan: good luck, u got this!

Edin smiled. Thanks, he replied, I'm pretty nervous honestly.

He silenced his phone, kept it in his pocket, then made his way into the building.

For some reason Edin could not name, whether it be psychology or physics, he felt more resistance as his feet passed over pavement and onto the stone steps. Edin's footsteps grew heavier as he ascended the staircase. Again the imposing structure cast its downward glance at him, shrouding him in its shadow. Perhaps he was just lucky to have passed the first time. What if he lost control now? Edin shook his head. No, no, he had had ample training with Arden. He had had ample training without her too. He had thrown hands with his urges long enough to know how to subdue them. He would no longer be a slave to whatever cursed desires threatened to take hold of him, and he was going to prove it to them.

The doors granted him passage, and he entered the building. The same receptionist he talked to when he took his first test was manning the front desk.

The receptionist looked up from her computer. Then glimpsed her monitor. Then him. "I've just notified Senior Riven that you're here; he's been expecting you."

"Oh." Edin felt his heart leap; he was sure that he was on time. "Where's he waiting?"

"I'll lead you to him."

She left the counter where she was stationed, and he followed her down the corridor. They went down a path similar to the one they took before. Edin placed a hand over his chest—his heart felt like it was going to leap out of his body from how hard it had been beating. He attempted to calm himself. He was prepared. He was prepared. He was prepared.

The receptionist stopped in front of a door. "He's waiting for you inside."

"Thank you."

She uttered no response to his thanks and left without another word. Edin tilted his head, then shrugged. She likely did not mean to be rude. One hand reached out and opened the door, and to his partial surprise, it was easier to open than he thought it would be.

He was in a different room from the one he first took his test in. The layout was largely the same, but it was far smaller. Though the ceilings were rather high, he could not help but feel confined. Perhaps it was the lack of windows or any other orifice other than the door that had just been closed behind him? The fact that he was surrounded by cold, dark, virtually impenetrable stone? Across the room, a single man with dark hair and dark eyes sat at a table, clipboard in hand.

Riven looked up from his clipboard. "Good morning, Edin. Please stand further from the door."

Edin paced forward till he was near the center of the chamber.

"That'll be enough." He picked up a pen. "Normally we'd have two or more people here to carry out the test, but since we're short-staffed, I'll be your only examiner. Understood?"

Edin nodded. "Yes, Senior Riven."

"Excellent. Now let's confirm your details first: your name is Edin, surname unknown; you're currently twenty-three years old, birthdate unknown; you're a legal resident of Irien, Asdur; and your abilities include fire-wielding, lightning-wielding, and swordsmanship. Correct?"