CHAPTER XIV - Threshing

Start from the beginning

"If you're not chosen by nightfall, there's a problem," Professor Kaori responds. "You'll be brought out by a professor or senior leadership, so don't give up and think we've forgotten about you." He looks down at his pocket watch. "Remember to spread out and use every foot of this valley to your advantage. It's nine, which means they should be flying in any minute now. The only other words I have for you are 'good luck.'"

Professor Kaori leaves with a final look of what I could have sworn was sadness. This was the last time all of us would be standing here, because we all knew that not all 147 of us would be walking out of this alive.

"Be careful." Rhiannon says to Violet and I, pulling us into a group hug.

"You too." I say to the both of them, squeezing tight.

"Don't die," Ridoc orders us and I can't help but smile.

I can't help but feel some regrets as I turn on my heel and walk away, either towards my death or another day, though with a dragon by my side.

...

I have no way to know what time it is apart from the position of the sun. Guessing by that I believe that around two hours have passed. Two hours and I have not bonded with a dragon yet. I supposed I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but when your life was on the line it was hard not to.

I've come across three browns, one orange and four greens--

I almost scream as I see a red walk in front of the field I am standing in. It's large wings flex as if its stretching. My eyes don't leave the beast as it walks by. I can't help but hope that this is going to be my dragon.

But I know it isn't. I'm not sure how, but I know its not my dragon.

I hold my breath as it swoops its massive head towards. I quickly bow my head towards the ground, not wanting to make eye contact. I hear its massive footfalls as it walks away.

I had seen cadets fly out of the valley for the past hour. They are already waiting with their dragons while I walk around uselessly, hoping that I will make it out of the valley alive.

Suddenly I hear voices and I freeze.

"I'm telling you, I think I saw it headed this way." A cocky voice says. I immediately know its Tynan.

"You'd better be right, because if we just hiked all the way the fuck over here just to find nothing, I'm going to run you through." My stomach turns to knots. Jack. He's here which means if he finds me, he will stop at nothing to kill me.

"You sure we shouldn't be spending our time looking for our own dragons instead of hunting the freak down?" Another voice I know. Oren.

I dart to a bush, hiding underneath the greenery. I listen closely to what they are saying and hope that they will to find me.

"It's not like our dragons are going to bond other riders," Jack snaps. "They'll wait for us. This has to be done. That scrawny one is going to get someone killed. We have to take it out."

Shit.

"If we get caught, we're fucked," Oren comments. I'm confused as they continue talking. What are they trying to do?

"Then you'd better shut your mouth so no one hears us," Tynan counters.

"It's for the best," Jack argues, his voice dropping to a quieter tone. "It's unrideable, a certified freak, and you know feathertails are useless in combat. They refuse to fight." His voice fades as they walk farther from my hiding spot, north.

Toward the clearing professor Kaori talked about.

"Shit," I mutter under my breath, realizing finally what they intend to do.