29. A Runaway

The boys sit at each corner of the car, Kihyun pressing himself to the door, wanting to disappear

The boys sit at each corner of the car, Kihyun pressing himself to the door, wanting to disappear. The wheezing of the air conditioner is the only sound that dominates the vehicle, suppressing the cluttering thoughts in both their minds.

A tap on his shoulder brings Kihyun out of his head. He turns to Sehyuk, who has his mobile phone facing towards him, the notes app open.

'I have to go back to the hospital after you get off my place'

The older boy shakes his head. "No, it's okay..." he murmurs, avoiding eye contact. "Eomma gave me her card so I'll book a hotel room and stay there for the time being." He can't do this to Sehyuk anymore. Whatever it is, he needs to deal with it on his own even if being alone right is the last thing he wants. His father isn't looming over his head with an iron fist anymore because he murdered him. The very vile act he was accusing the man of, Kihyun has done it. He flinches when Sehyuk taps his shoulder again, cowering into the corner.

He's a murderer. No reason justifies it. Kihyun's hands tremble, the feel of the smooth gun leaving its indent on his skin. Once again, he's pulled back to what happened at his house, choking at the memory. "Don't touch me!" He yells at the incoming hand, slapping it away. "I-I...I'm dirty!" He shrinks to the side, punching the driver's seat from behind. "S-stop the car..."

Everything around him closes in, the space too small to breathe. He opens his mouth to take in shallow breaths, heart pounding in his chest as his throat clogs. "I said stop the damn car!"

The cab turns towards the footpath and stops with a screech, the boy pressing a hand over his mouth and running out, crouching near a potted tree to puke out whatever he had eaten before. As the brownish-yellow liquid leaves his mouth, Kihyun's eyes burn, his gut rattling at the image of his dead father. He breathes loudly as he stares at the contents he just spilled out, the pungent smell overpowered by the images in his head.

His father is dead and his mother is in trouble. All because of him.

A couple of tissues hover in front of his face, drawing the boy's attention. He turns to Sehyuk, who's holding an uncapped bottle of water along with the tissues. Kihyun takes them and cleans his mouth, gargling and spitting the water to rid the taste. "Thanks," he says, splashing some water on his face.

They sit on the footpath, the cab already driven off after Sehyuk got off. The night is gloomy with heavy air, like a silent shadow covering the warmth and light. Or it's just Kihyun. He kicks a stone sitting near the tip of his shoe, scoffing as he turns to the blond next to him.

"Go back to the hospital, Sehyuk. I don't want to be involved with you anymore. And trust me, I'm not saying any of this out of animosity. I'm just too tired to deal with anyone or anything anymore." His eyes cast to the rough asphalt beneath them, crushing the broken glass under his sole. "Especially, now that I'm someone with blood on his hands." It's hard to accept it but denial is not going to help him in any way.