Part 1 - Code Red

It was all a normal Tuesday day. The school was wild but calm and relaxing at the same time. Of course, I would rather be home, but it brings me calmness and releases my stress being here. And having a mother who had been divorced months ago isn't the most graceful thing to know. Yet she has a job, and she always has a bright smile on her face every day.

I better then go home by now and finish the last comic panel before studying. I say goodbye to the remaining students still in school and I get away from the calming place. The snow on my feet has been rather higher and more chilling than the other days but it doesn't discomfort me. Bringing warm gloves with me would be a rather smart choice so I need to freeze my hands off on the way home.

But it doesn't take much longer until I finally see the red new painted big house called Home. But in a wipe of surprise, once I entered that gate, I felt a dark uncomfortable feeling in me. Something I haven't felt before. I close the gate again and my legs start shaking and my breath starts making smoke over my eyesight. Something felt off, something felt weird. As I stepped closer to the door, I could see a dark figure staring at me in the window beside the kitchen. It must be my mother. I smile and awkwardly wave at her with my red frozen hand.

WAS IT HERE?

The strange figure then moved out of sight. I feel like I have a cold. It's her, right? Whoever it was I felt the urge to open the door. I put my hand on the cold door handle I slowly open the door and walk inside.

The lights were fully down, and the house was dark with only a couple of candles set out lighting gracefully in the empty corridor. I take off my shoes and put them on the shelf and with a shaky voice I manage to say, "Mom I'm home now".

Suddenly she comes hugging me in bear seconds. She placed her palm hand on my shoulder and hugged me tightly. I immediately hugged her back and smiled. "You scared me, Mom," I said while chuckling a little. Her blonde hair swept away from me along with her body and she said "I'm sorry Jim. I have missed you so much. How, was school sweetheart? Oh, the electricity is just down for a little honey.".

"Don't worry Mom... where...where is Evelyn?" I say and walk into the living. The curtains were weirdly put down and almost seemed twice as long. "Evelyn? Your girlfriend? You still have her?" She said staring me deeply into the eyes with a rather shaky and nervous voice. "Yeah, remember that she was going to stay here for a... month Remember?".

She quietly walked into the dark-lighted kitchen with her hands put together close to her chest almost trembling with every step. "I... have no clue honey. But... don't worry she will be back soon hopefully". She said as she gulped and put on the warm oven. In the quiet dark that it was I picked up my bag and walked upstairs in one move. The staircase made a small high cracking like an old wooden staircase for every step I took.

The darkness somehow was even darker upstairs, and it was hard to see, and the air was wet and foggy. I slowly made my way through the fog and opened the cold door to my room. A weird metal-like smell came from the bathroom but I decided to just ignore it.

Weirdly enough my room was the only space lightened up and well enough to be in. I was so distracted by the calming blue lighting casting over me as I walked in, that I hadn't even noticed the nerve-racking and terrifying silence that was coming from downstairs. At least I would hear her cook food downstairs but no it was completely silent, and the lights were still off.

I closed the door with my shaky and lay down on my well-made bed. Almost weirdly beautiful that day. I let out a big yawn and took up my face. The quick dark reflection of myself from the empty screen almost made me shiver but the screen quickly lighted up. Why was I so scared? I started messaging Evelyn, but it was weird. They hadn't left any messages for the entire day which wasn't like her at all. Minutes went by but still no response, so I decided to go up again and look out my window.