"You too, boss."

After showering and searching the motorhome and failing to find your mum, you went in search through the paddock, finally locating her in McLaren's hospitality.

"One race and you ditched me already," you said to her as you stole one of their bottles of water from the fridge.

"I knew you were fine, so I thought I would check in on sweet Lando," she said with a sad smile. "He's not too happy with his result."

You snorted a laugh and she slapped your arm as she shhh'd you. "What? No one jumps for joy at last place. It's kind of obvious."

"Just go and check on him okay? I'll see you all for dinner later."

You watched her navigate her way out and trusted that she could find her way back to Astin Martin. Kristian was staying in the same hotel so she was going to get a ride back with him while you rode with Lando and Charles after finishing the debrief and interviews. She had the endless patience of a saint, except when it came to the media.

You rapped your knuckles on the door before opening it and found Lando pacing the narrow space, his phone to his ear. "-least yours was a mechanical failure, my car is just shit. Oh, she just got here. We'll see you soon. Love you."

He tossed his phone onto the table and opened his arms, welcoming a warm embrace after the terrible performance he had endured. His chest was still damp from the shower and he smelt edible like a key lime pie when you kissed his collar bone.

"Proud of you," he murmured into your neck where he buried his face and inhaled your body wash too.

"Proud of you too."

He pulled back and shook his head like he didn't believe you and you caught his face in your hands, forcing him to face you. "I am proud of you, baby. What you did today was much harder than me...the fact you still finished the race and held your head high shows how resilient you are. I probably would have done a Kimi and just fucked off mid-race."

His chest bounced with a small laugh because you both knew it was true.

"You are going to be a world champion one day, I know it," you swore as you pressed your forehead to his and felt him shake his head. "You don't have to believe me, Lando. I believe in you. You deserve it, you have the raw talent - and one day you will have the car to match. Then you will be unstoppable."

The door swung open as Charles let himself in and you delighted in the way his face lit up upon seeing you both opening your arms for him to join. "Mmmm," he sighed as he closed his eyes and tipped his head onto Lando's shoulder. "What a fucking day...Can we go home yet?"

Round Four - Baku 2023

You were a shoo-in for a podium place. It was in reach for the fourth race in a row, until the pain began. Sudden and strong, you nearly missed the corner as the ache in your abdomen grew to a point you couldn't ignore it. You felt even bump in the road, every force of the turns, the pressure from your harness.

"Fuck," you growled through gritted teeth. "How many laps left?"

"Five, why? Woah, your heart rate is through the roof," Chris exclaimed, not nearly as calm as Nicholas would have been.

"Yeah, kind of happens when I'm in pain," you retorted as you thought you could probably handle five more laps. There wasn't another option anyway.

By the penultimate lap Charles had overtaken you and you saw his helmet turn your way ever so slightly, like time slowed as he passed. There was no way to see under his visor but you knew there would have been a look of concern on his face.