Xiaotian touched his own cheeks, squishing them a little. The roundness was nearly the end of Macaque, who put a hand to his chest to steady it.

"Cause I got Dada's wuv," the boy explained knowingly.

"Oh?" Macaque tilted his head.

"Dada says he wuv's me so much, that he put it on my face so I always know," MK gave a toothy grin, his tail curling in delight.

Wukong shifted his weight from foot to foot, avoiding Macaque's immediate stunned gaze. He nervously ran a hand through his hair, the tips of his ears turning red with embarrassment. As he turned to leave, he could feel Macaque's eyes boring into his back.

It was an incredibly sweet sort of story that any toddler would love to be told. Later on Xiaotian would realize it was due to genetics that the mark was the way it was- but for now, this sweet little tale was perfect. What a.. lovely thing, for Wukong to tell their son.

"And the dots?" Macaque wondered if Wukong had come up with a story for those as well. Like small freckles, they dotted the child's rounded cheeks.

"Wishes," Xiaotian told him, poking at his freckles.

"Wishes?" Macaque mused, curious. His thumb brushed over them, wanting to kiss each and every one. There were four, two marking each side of the boy's face. "What kind of wishes?"

"Dada said this one was his wish for me to be born." MK pointed to one, then went to the other "Then this wish was- um..." he tapped it a few times to remember. "Um... for the moon to watch over me!"

Macaque cocked his head to the side, his furry brow furrowing in confusion. "The moon?" he repeated, his voice tinged with curiosity and disbelief.

"Yeah the Moon. I like the moon. So every night I say "Hi Moon! Thank you Moon," but in my head. Oh but, sometimes I can't see the moon. The moon went on a trip some days. But Unkey Igsy says it'll come back soon." Xiaotian gasped, realizing. "Like Baba did!"

Macaque listened quietly, his heart feeling heavy. The moon... when Wukong referred to the moon, Macaque had a feeling he didn't mean the actual one in the sky.

Recalling how Wukong would often refer to him as "My Moon" did Wukong mean him? Was Wukong wishing for him to watch over Xiaotian?

The thought was bitter sweet, coming with a heavy and thick feeling in Macaque's chest that left him drowning.

"And the other two wishes?" he whispered weakly.

"Hmm..." Xiaotian stretched his arms over his head, giving a big stretch. His shirt rode up over his stomach, revealing the cutest rounded tummy. Then he sighed contently, scratching his head. A perfect carbon copy of what Wukong had done just a little bit before. They really were so similar.

Macaque gave the rounded tummy a few taps, drawing a chuckle from the boy.

"I dunno," he says with a smile.

"You don't?" Macaque inquired, wondering if Wukong just couldn't think of two more wishes or if there was another reason.

"Dada says these two," he pointed to the two dots on the left side of his cheek, "Were wishes for the Moon."

Macaque's heart lurched, inhaling carefully, "For the moon?"

"Mm-hmm." Xiaotian looked up at the ceiling, wondering curiously what two wishes the moon would make. MK liked wishes. They were fun.

"The moon," Macaque allowed that to linger. How could he find the words to something like that? Since he couldn't, Macaque kept quiet.

"MK!" Hearing his Father call from the kitchen that breakfast was ready, Xiaotian happily bounded upward.