Entering Human Society is a GO!

Wukong remembered the day that he first noticed Liu'er was changing. Subtle at first, hardly noticeable. His snow white fur dulled just a tad- like a well worn piece of cloth.

The more they grew from young children into adults the more obvious the change. White to a light tan, then a more obvious brown.

He would catch Liu'er sometimes, staring at himself in the reflection of the river. Deep in a dark thought, glaring heavily at his tainted fur.

Wukong himself saw no issue with it all. Liu'er was Liu'er. It's like how you don't notice someone's voice changing or the fact they grow taller because you see them everyday. It's only when you look back at old memories that you truly notice the difference.

Then, as slowly as a season would change, Liu'er was as black as night. Blending so perfectly into the night sky when he stared up at the stars from atop a tree. Wukong lost sight of him more nowadays since he blended into the shadows instead of sticking out in them.

While once he wore such soft colors to his clothes, he now opted for darker materials. Browns or deep reds.

"I don't see why you can't wear yellow." the sun riddled monkey pouted, holding up the yellow scarf with disappointment.

"I would look like a bee." Liu'er grumbled.

"...A cute bee." Wukong grumbled cheekily, turning away. "But fine fine- then... blue?" He offered the next color.

"No."

"Green~"

"No, Wukong."

"Pink? You wore it all the time when we first met." he reminded his friend. It was so pretty on him.

"I would rather not." the other folded his arms.

"Purple!"

"...No."

"You hesitated. Try the purple." Wukong pushed, excited. Caught, his best friend flinched.

"N-No no, not purple either." he turned away, a flush to his ears. "Red and brown only."

Wukong made a loud sound of dismay, "But whyyyy?"

"Just drop it!" his friends rose abruptly, storming back up the hillside in a huff. Leaving the King surrounded by fur made scarfs alone. Sighing, Wukong lowered his hands, wondering why things had changed so much.

It's not like he knew why Liu'er's fur changed- or why this even bothered the monkey? They could literally change and transform into so many things now! Other species even! So why did it matter what his fur color was like? 

Of course, he never cared for any form of ridicule or hatred. In one ear and out the other honestly. Liu'er had never quite been like that. He had always been sensitive to the whispers of others. Always too critical of himself..

Later that day, he tracked Liu'er down by the river once more. Staring, just as he always seemed to be doing. Pulling at his hair in dismay. Frowning, Wukong splashed into the water to send ripples against his reflection, rushing to stand before his friend.

Friend, being what Liu'er was at this point in time.

Wukong's moon, and shadow, and everything- a friend. It wouldn't be for a few more years that he truly understood what Macaque was to him in his heart. 

"Alright you." He huffed, arms at his hips. "I am banning you from the river! An official Monkey King Decree!"

The darker monkey was stunned, gawking. "What?" he shook his head and stood. "You can't do that."