Forever Is a Long Time

Gone.

Gone.

A simple word was all it took to truly break Sun Wukong.

It had been- well, he wasn't sure anymore. He was still atop his mountain. Still on the floor. Still grasping a small regular stone in his hands. Still wondering... how does an immortal die?

Everyone in every realm has tried and all of them have failed. So how would he find a solution to end it all...

He laughed after a few days when the eclipse showed its ugly face. He even tried to open his palm and let the stone bask in its light. Nothing happened.

You can't breathe life into the dead. At least, he couldn't anyway.

Waiting one more nightfall, it was his monkeys who came to find him. They pulled and tugged at his clothes, chirping with worry for their king. They were too naive, too sweet, to understand or give him the words he needed most.

To explain why all of this was the way it was. But even simple creatures understood sorrow, and stayed with him as long as he needed.

When morning breached the horizon, he set the stone down where it lay atop the mountain. A nursery turned grave, with a view befitting what should have been their home.

His journey to the west was done, his friends all gone, and he had returned to what felt like a hallowed version of his refuge.

He never imagined, since the day of his birth, that he'd face the future on his own. He always had at least one person with him to give him hope.

Impulsively, there was never a time the future worried or concerned him because of this. What mattered was the now, and he joyfully basked in it.

Now, painfully so, he fears the immortality he stole. The weight it has against his chest is unbearable.

He couldn't quite remember how he got down from the top of the mountain. Perhaps he walked, or was dragged by the other monkeys. One way or another, he ended up in his shrine behind the waterfall.

This is where he stayed, for a very long time.

To learn to close the doors to his heart, and keep all who would try to breach it at an arm's distance.

At times, cracks would fester and let in the thoughts he would much rather cast out. A familiar scent or sound gave way to memories lost.

He once even contemplated finding the one ally who still wandered about this earth. It was a mute sort of thought to have, but Wukong once indulged in it. He wondered where Azure Lion had wandered off to after Peng and Yellowtusk had been trapped within the Scroll of Memory. Which was...

Somewhere in his temple?

He eyes the mountains of treasure's he kept, frowning. Yeah, it was definitely in there somewhere.

Somewhere , being the key word here.

He wondered if Azure would care to talk with him. Sit down and share a drink.

He mused to himself, shaking his head at his own foolishness. Azure was kind. One of the best, actually. So of course he would agree to sit down and talk. All it would take would be for Wukong to be friendly, and ask to talk to his Brother. Azure's heart would be kind enough to forgive him, as brothers. There was never a doubt about that.

Then, as all things do, eventually their scars would come up, and he knew Azure wouldn't just let it slide that Peng and Yellowtusk were still prisoners.

And while Wukong would happily free them, he wasn't naive enough to not realize they would just continue their campaign right where they ended all those years ago.