035 || Alive

"How's the headache?" Layla sat down on a stool. I leaned my elbows on the counter and groaned in response.

"How are you not dead?" I asked, my voice croaky. She shrugged.

"I mean, I am hungover. Not as bad though." She said it simply.

"I sort of hate you right now." I scowled at her perfectly rested face. She laughed.

"I know." She smiled. I sighed, pouring myself a glass of water.

Hangovers sucked. Who's idea was it to invent them?

At least I didn't seem as bad as Lando. He had slept in until two in the afternoon, snoring. And when he finally did wake up, he mumbled something about 'our conversation last night' and left (after finishing my cereal). I wasn't sure what he was on about and didn't dwell on it; I had bigger problems.

"You want anything?" I asked Layla.

"Nah, I'm good." She shook her head. I sat down on another stool, facing her with a frown.

"So why did you come over? To taunt me with your 'not so bad hangover'?" I leaned my head on my hand.

"Actually, I came over to see if you were okay. Also, I was curious to see if there was someone else here." She shrugged, standing up and stretching her arms above her head.

"What do you mean? Like Lando?" I asked after telling her to 'shhh'. She wandered over to the couch and picked up a pillow, playing with it in her hands absentmindedly.

"No..."

"Please explain. If you're waiting for me to get there on my own, I'm afraid you are in for disappointment."I took a sip of my water. She sighed.

"I meant Max, Bri." She shook her head slowly, as if disappointed that I hadn't reached that conclusion. I stared at her.

"Why would Max be here...?" My face was scrunched in confusion. She turned back to me, rolling her eyes.

"You tell me. I saw you guys last night." She came back to lean on the counter. My heart began to quicken.

"Oh god, what happened last night? I don't remember." I pinched my nose, trying to recall anything, but my mind was all fuzzy.

"Nothing 'happened'. I didn't hear anything he said to you, but I saw his eyes. And he was holding your face and biting his lip." She said it with a smirk. I felt heat rush to my cheeks and cover my face.

"What did I do? Did I shove him away or punch him?" I asked her, hopefully. She laughed.

"Why would you ever punch him?" She asked calmly. I peeked at her through my fingers.

"Er... because I hate him?" I replied. I had said it before, but this time my voice wasn't as certain.

What the fuck? Of course, it was. I. Hate. Him.

"No, you don't." She laughed as if I had just said something really funny. I stared at her, dropping my hands from my face.

"Yes, I do." I told her again, but this just made her laugh harder. I waited until she was done.

"You crack me up, Bri." She wiped a tear from her eye. I said nothing, just staring at her. She stopped. "Wait, really?"

"Really what?"

"Wow, you really are blind." She blinked, surprised. I scowled.

"Hey! I'm not blind. I do hate him. Loath him. Despise him. I want him to go skydiving without a parachute." I told her, my voice firm. Her eyes softened with something that resembled pity.