020 || Safe

I waited until his footsteps had faded away before opening the container and taking a bite. Even cold, the pasta tasted so good. But, of course, when you're hungry, everything tastes good.

I ate the whole thing in under ten minutes. Then I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself. I looked around the tent, taking it in for the first time. There was a light suspended from a hook on the roof.

I said roof, but since the tent was a triangle, I just meant the highest point. Apart from the bag in the corner, the only other things in here were the thick blanket I was sitting on and a queen-sized inflatable mattress in the middle of the floor. Well, that would be my next problem.

Just then, I heard the shuffling of feet on the grass and snapped myself out of my thoughts. A few seconds later, the door opened, and a flustered Max climbed back inside. 

His hair was ruffled and looked slightly wet, and his cheeks had a pink tint due to the cold. A cold wind followed him inside, making me shiver. He quickly zipped the tent back up.

"It's raining." He said it casually as he slipped off his coat. I could see the wet patches on it reflecting the light. Just as he said, I heard the droplets on the canvas of the tent.

"Astute observation." I sniffed sacristically. He shot me a look.

"It's ten thirty." He said it almost to himself, ignoring my comment.

I went to glance at my wrist, but then remembered that I didn't wear watches. I played it off by running a hand through my hair.

Damn, I'm smooth.

I thought to myself. He glanced at me with a raised eyebrow, but I didn't meet his gaze, instead looking away at a very fascinating dot on the canvas wall. He moved around, but I didn't give him the satisfaction of my attention. After a while, I felt my exhaustion creep in. I yawned, my eyes drooping a little.

"Excuse me." He was standing next to me again. I looked up.

"What?" I frowned. He cleared his throat and looked down at the blankets I was resting on. "Oh." I got up, and he picked it up. I was shocked to see that, despite what I previously thought, there was only one.

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. He proceeded to calmly sit down on the materass and fold his coat into a makeshift pillow. He shook out the blanket and threw it over himself. I watched, feeling a growing sense of envy at the sight of the warm bed. He looked at me expectantly.

"Are you coming or not? Because I want to turn the light off." He sighed. I stared at him.

"Yeah, I don't think so." I shook my head. He threw his head back with a groan.

"For fucks sake, why do you always have to be so difficult?" He ran a hand over his face. I scowled at him.

"I'm not difficult. I just don't want to sleep in the same bed as you." I said it firmly, crossing my arms over my chest. He looked at me again with a skeptical look in his eye.

"What? You scared?" He smirked.

"No. Of course not. You just repulse me." I snapped a little too quickly.

"Right. So you're scared." He lay back again, putting his arms under his head so that he could look at me properly.

"I'm not scared!" I yelled.

"Prove it." He closed his eyes. His calmness was infuriating. I wish I could throw him outside to freeze to death. I clenched my fists and bit my tongue.

"I don't bite...normally." He smirked, his eyes still closed.

Without another word, I got up from my seat on the cold floor with a scowl and switched off the light. Then, finding the materass with my feet, I crawled onto it. I couldn't see anything at all. I made my way up, feeling the world around me carefully. Then I felt something hard beneath my fingers. I frowned.