“Where’s the kitchen?” she asked Damien, who was picking up one of the boxes.

“Follow me, sweetie,” he replied, simply. She followed him without saying anything.  

 The kitchen was a medium size but luckily very spacious. The counters were all black granite with a white floor and white cupboards. There were to sinks at opposite sides and a fridge on her left. She liked what she saw; for a guy like him, the house was pretty clean.

Carmina started to blow the balloons when suddenly a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist. Before she realised, she rested her head on his shoulders and turned her neck right until her forehead met his neck. She could feel his warm breath on her lips as she closed her eyes. 

“Hey, where’s the bathroom?” Margaret asked from behind. She opened her eyes and tried to jump away from Damien but he wouldn’t let go of her.

“First door on the right,” he replied, not embarrassed at all. Margaret winked at her before closing the door.

“Why are you so embarrassed? She’s your best friend; she ought to know” he whispered into her ear. “By the way, did she tell you ‘bout her and Zack?”

“You saw that too?” she asked, relieved that she wasn’t the only one who knew about it.

“Yep, I’m just waiting for them to tell us,” he answered back.

“I think we should start on the decorations now,” she told him, even though she didn’t want this moment to end. Ever.

He sighed, showing her that he was unhappy about this but he still nodded in agreement.

They started to blow the balloons up and an hour later they were finished, both out of breath with dry throats.

“I need a fizzy drink,” she whispered, croakily. She got up and looked into the fridge for something to drink. She found bottle of different kinds of drinks. She got out cherry coke for herself and asked Damien if he wanted one. He shook his head whilst tying some strings onto the balloons.

“Forgot to mention; I’ve got some crystal decorations if you want to use them,” he said.

“What colour?” she asked him.

“Baby blue,” he answered back. That was Anne’s favourite colour; he truly was awesome.

“Seriously? Anne loves that colour!” she squealed with delight.

“That was my little sisters’ favourite colour,” he smiled. “I’ll get them.”

She watched him go. Finally, she met someone who was in a similar situation. Even though he knew his family, he still lost them. She had her adoptive family but there was always the feeling where she wanted to be with her real family; even if they didn’t want her.

He came back with 3 boxes in his arms and the way he was holding them made her think I didn’t weigh anything. He put them on the floor and opened one of them as Carmina sat down beside him.  

She picked out a few stars that were the size of her hand. They were all the same colour as Anne’s bedroom.

‘She will seriously love this party,’ she thought to herself.

“Let’s tell Margaret and Zack before they start decorating the walls,” Damien told her.

“Yeah, ok,” she answered back. They stood up and sneaked quietly to the room that Zack and Margaret was in. The door was slightly open; Carmina peeked through the gap to see what they were up to.

She found that they were kissing and she knew right then that Margaret was truly in love. She was too busy all tangled up in her love with Damien that she didn’t even know about her best friend’s love towards Zack. What hurt her most was that Margaret knew about her love towards Damien. The tears in her eyes were threatening to spill but she couldn’t cry now. It was too late.

Damien was about to open the door but Carmina pushed him back, gesturing with her hands to not go in. He turned and walked back to the kitchen with her trailing after. She shut the door behind her and looked at Damien.

“What happened?” he asked her.

“They were kissing,” she replied. “Margaret didn’t say anything to us so why should say anything to them?”

“Well, they both ruined our special moment,” he muttered quietly.

“Excuse me?” she asked.

“Nothing,” he replied quickly.

“Let’s start on the decorations. Luckily the balloons are dark and light blue,” she sighed with relief.

They started hanging some crystals onto the ceiling with some strings and honestly, it couldn’t look any better.

Just as the finished with the ceiling, Margaret and Zack walked in.

“You didn’t tell me you bought these,” Margaret said to Carmina. “Luckily, we haven’t done the ceiling yet.”

“It’s Damien’s decorations. I was going to tell you guys but it looked like you were really busy,” she answered back.

Margaret turned bright red whilst Zack looked down at his sneakers, avoiding their eyes.

“Guys, it’s okay. You can tell us,” Damien told them.

“Fine, I asked her out for the party,” Zack admitted, quietly. “We were gonna tell you but we were waiting for you to make it official about you two going together, be Damien didn’t tell me.”

“Well, I thought Margaret was going to write it on Carmina’s forehead, knowing the way she is,” Carmina pointed out. “Let’s leave it at that. I’m starving, lets order take out.”

Zack and Margaret nodded at the same time and Carmina told them they looked really cute together. Zack rolled his eyes at the comment whilst Margaret gave a small smile.

“I’m still not talking to you,” Zack told Damien, nudging him out of the room.

“Hey, you didn’t tell me about you and Margaret,” Damien cried out.

“Still, I thought we were friends,” Zack muttered and they started nudging each other like two kids.

“Seriously, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about it,” Margaret told her.

“No, I’m sorry. I’m your best friend and I didn’t even know about your feeling towards Zack. I was too busy with my love life,” she replied, still feeling guilty.

“Hey, it’s okay. It’s not like you can read minds,” she assured.

Carmina reached in for a hug, knowing that if she didn’t, she really would start crying.

After the special moment ended, they ordered their food over the phone. Carmina was glad that Margaret had finally confided but the guilt still wouldn’t leave her. She knew it would one day, but that was years away from now.