Chapter 10

(Damien’s view)

As Damien walked to his history class with Margaret and Carmina, he had realised what he had done the lesson before. It was all wrong.

He promised himself that he would never put her in danger. Never mind that, he wouldn’t put any person in danger. That was exactly what he did and he hated himself for it. He was monster.  Maybe not to other people but to himself he was.

Now he had no choice but to watch her every single second of the day otherwise all kind of things could happen to her if he wasn’t there. Torture. Death.

No; this can never to happen to her. Anyone who lays a hand on her will go through hell. Jesus’ death would look like a picnic compared to what he’d do to them.  

“Hello? Damien? Where are you going? This is history class,” Margaret laughed at him. “You know, Zack’s right. You gotta stop zoning out all the time. We’re not that boring.”

She looked at him, pretending to be offended when Carmina scolded her. “Leave the poor kid alone.”

“Aww, you sound really possessive,” she replied, smiling cheekily. She quickly ran inside the class so she wouldn’t get thumped by her aggressive-looking friend.

As soon as Margaret was out sight, Carmina turned to him, apologizing about her despicable, annoying friends’ stupidity.

“It’s okay, that’s actually the reason why we’re friends. Her craziness,” he told her, and they both started to laugh at that.

Once they calmed down, they walked in and took their seats in the room whilst the others were waiting for the teacher, Mr Hanickan.

Carmina turned around and told him to look at Margaret. He turned to find that Margaret was glaring at the both of them.   

‘What did I do now?’ he thought to himself.  She mouthed to them that she knew they were talking about her and her craziness.

They smiled innocently at her whilst she rolled her eyes to show her annoyance. They turned and looked at the board where Mr Hanickan was writing something on.

‘Whoa. Where did he come from?’ he thought.

As the dragging minutes went on, Damien looked tired after hearing the lecture about World War 2. He got it. Wasting food was like a crime at that time. For god sake, he rationed during that time.

He dozed out and began to think of ways to keep Carmina safe. His hopes rose as the positive conclusions came to his mind. But they always went down the drain when he thought of the cold-blooded monsters who thought life owed them something and that was human blood.

He could remember the sickening, horrific time when he saw one of the bad vampires sucking the life out of a young girl of about five years of age. It was clearly wrong; she was too young to die, way too young. And dying like this just broke his heart. He tried to save her but it was too late and the consequences of watching her dying were unbearable. Her skin was pale and dry. Her delicate bones crushed, and her eyes had a frightened look. For a second, he hated himself to let her die like this. But it was just too late to save her. If only he came a few seconds earlier.

Damien shook the horrible flashback away, knowing he would start to doubt himself again. He looked around at his classmates to see a few of them had fallen asleep. One girl was drooling on the desk; he turned back to the teacher before he started vomiting.

Bored, he tapped Carmina on the shoulder as she always lit his day up. She turned around, raising his eyebrows.

“Hey, I’m bored with a capital b. Entertain me,” he whispered to her. She rolled her eyes at him and shook her head.