28. For Himself

"What do you mean Kihyun's father tried to kill you!"

His life has never been a fairytale but Kihyun at least expected the nightmare to end with him, not seep into the peace of others around him.

Bad omen.

Bad omen.

Kim Gyeom's words mock him, terrorizing the semblance of contentment Kihyun had found after he saved Sehyuk's life. Bad omen. That's what describes him perfectly. He brought nothing but despair to the blond since he entered his life. The raging agony fires Kihyun to drop the bag in his hand and bolt out of the door, missing the loud yells of his name. He runs with one destination in mind. His house. The place where everything started. Now he had to end it. Whatever the price may be.

He's scared out of his wits but he has to go home. To the hellish cage he survived in. It's the place he belongs to. He has to ask his father to leave the others and he will obey his every command. Sehyuk almost died because of his association with him. He doesn't need to hear the whole story from the boy to know he was the cause of it because he knows his father well. If the younger had died by hanging, he'd have not known the truth and the true face of his father scares Kihyun. He should've known that a man who could frame his own son and send him to prison, can murder too. The thought is spine-chilling. Kihyun will lose people as long as he's a part of the Kang family.

When the boy reaches his home, he hears voices from the first floor. He is about to walk towards his when a hand grabs his forearm.

"It's better if you don't go. Please, leave for now." The head maid smiles sympathetically at him. "Your father is angry at the moment."

Kihyun snorts, shaking his head and removing the woman's hand. "When is he not?"

He climbs the stairs in a hurry, dismissing the warning alarms going off in his head. Taking in a deep breath, the boy braces for what's behind the door even if he already knows. It's not a rare sight in the household. When he opens the door, he sees his father towering over his mother who is on the floor like a thrown pile of dirty laundry. He may have come up here, but Kihyun freezes in fear, that's the hold his father has on him. His mother is already sporting fresh bruises over her face which she'll cover with makeup tomorrow and blood around her torn lip.

"You think you can hold a shareholders meeting without me, you useless bitch?" Kang Wooshik bends, pulling the woman's hair and evoking a loud hiss from her. "I was out for some days and you went behind my back!" He slaps her across her face and Kihyun shuts his eyes, feeling the impending doom once he steps in.

Wooshik raises his hand again to smack Hyesuk but Kihyun runs and catches his arm before he can. He stands between the two.

"Please, stop..." the boy protests, palms shaky at the anger brewing in his father's eyes because of the interruption. "Stop ruining others' lives!"