"Um...23 or 24 as I recall." She replied, side eyeing Randy, who grinned at her when Mendel gave her a stunned look at the double digit number. "I thought it was only six."

Monique scanned the entry point of the jungle. "The lab should be 400 meters in land." Monique said, looking down at the map and marking down the location of the lab. "Uh ... sure we don't need someone to stay with the boat?" Mendel asked.

"*Yawn*, I don't know what you're thinking, Mendel, but there are less likely to be people in an uninhabited island. Also, animals don't drive." Cordula said, shutting Mendel down any excuse he could come up to stay on the boat.

"Are you sure you're fit to join us?" Nick asked when he saw the small bags under Cordula's eyes. The girl huffed. "I'm perfectly fine Nick, this isn't exactly my first rodeo of pulling all nighters. We Davis fisherfolk prefer to hunt mostly at night." Cordula said, moving to walk down the plank before Nick could say anything.

***

They trekked through the dense forest with Monique guarding their back. Monique stopped and sharply looked back with a glare as Mendel tensed up beside her. Cordula pulled Nick and the others back when she noticed from her peripheral vision that Monique stopped dead on her tracks.

"What is it?" Mendel asked harshly. Monique scanned the ground and the treeline. "We are being watched," Monique replied. "By who? The monkeys?" Elsie joked with a small smirk on her face.

"I don't see anything," Nick said as the group resumed their trek. However, Cordula began to notice something off in her surroundings. It was like the feeling of a prey animal being led around by a predator in the shadows.

Is Monique right? If so, then who is following us?

***

It became suddenly clear that someone before used this path when there were marks of a straight path that, hopefully, led to Flurry's Laboratory. They stopped dead when they saw a dog snarling in their way.

Everyone got behind Nick as he held his machete in front of the dog threateningly. Cordula gasped when she saw a snake crawl from a tree branch towards the dog, who turned and pounced on the snake.

Nick shoved the group away before any of the two noticed them gone. Monique sliced a few ferns out of the way and saw the laboratory shack. "Real fixer-upper," Randy commented from behind her shoulders. Cordula peeked from their sides. "Really? Looks like an abandoned place to leave some important stuff without nosey youths sneaking in." Randy pinched her cheek.

"Don't get started with me, chica." They both grinned at each other before they proceeded further in towards the abandoned laboratory shack.

***

Once inside, they all found themselves staring into various specimens. some familiar, some unfamiliar, and some very modified familiar creatures contained in jars of various sizes. Elsie made a face as she looked straight at one. "Yuck," She could not help but comment. "Well, it looks like a Craven family reunion." Randy suddenly broke in, trying to release the tense atmosphere. Mendel did not find it funny one bit that he was once again the subject of Randy's jokes.

"Ha-Ha-Ha..." Mendel drawled with hands on his hips and a scowl on his face. Cordula could not help but let out a giggle. Honestly, adventures were a bit more colourful with these two around. "Check for any files or notes," Nick said, quickly breaking up whatever round of argument Mendel and Randy were gonna have.

Cordula went over to a cabinet and pulled open the drawers only to turn and move away as dust was disturbed. She started coughing almost immediately. "These things seriously need a wipe down." Cordula sniffed before shuffling through the papers and notes inside. It was to her disgust that most of them were clearly eaten away by worms or rot.