01

Author's Note: This book is UNEDITED. Kindly ignore any mistakes you might encounter. And it's a preview. The complete book is to be paid for.

"Didn't you hear what I just said?" She asked, her voice rising a bit. Because it looked as if she was talking to herself. Maybe she was, because he was simply staring at her without even blinking and if she could, she would throw the marker in her hand at him, without a second thought.

But she didn't want to be the centre of attention, but it was getting harder by the seconds that ticked and he was still yet to respond.

"Get out of my class," she repeated through gritted teeth, pointing the door at him.

Staring right into his eyes, she could point out the exact moment his attention got back into himself and he took his eyes off her.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am. Something happened and it delayed me." He said, his expression saying the opposite of his words. He wasn't remorseful at all. One could tell that he was even tired at how he was still standing by the door and she wasn't ready to let him in.

She had only thirty minutes left of her lecture time and she would be out. And he deemed it fit to come to her class one hour thirty minutes late? Wearing such an expression and looking so unbothered that she wished she could hurl insults at him.

"Get out of my class. Right away!" She thundered. If only her thin voice could actually thunder. Staring at her for a few more seconds, even though she could feel his gaze right into her bones and not just her eyes, he walked out of the class and she turned back to the students that were silent and listening to their encounter with an angry expression.

"We're having a test. Class rep?" She called out and he immediately stood up. "Collect the assignments and after the test, we'd be done for this semester Insha Allah."

"Okay, Ma."

Ω

It was her rule not to enter the lecture hall with her phone, because her mother always choose the wrong time to call or send her a message and receiving any from her disrupted her mood. And so, she avoided doing that by leaving her phone in her office, always.

She saw two missed calls from her mother, which was expected. Because she could count on the number of days her mother didn't contact her at all. Only if the calls and messages were good ones.

Gulping down a lump in her throat, she called her back and put the phone on speaker because she couldn't stand hearing all she could assume her mother saying while the phone was placed on her ear.

"Good afternoon, Mama." She greeted silently, because really, she didn't have the strength to deal with her mother's rants at the moment. But not calling her back would do more harm than good.

"So, it's only now that you deem it fit to call me back, right, Muhibbah?" She called out, not bothering to answer the greeting.

"I'm sorry, Mama. I've always told you that whenever you called and I didn't answer your call, I'm in class. I'm sorry." Her voice was low, all that was bothering her washing over her at once.

There were times she forgot what was actually going on in her life. And that was only achievable when she was in class. Lecturing her students, it felt as if she was a normal lady that had little to no problems in her life. Sadly how that wasn't true.

She turned back away from the door she was facing before, staring at students through her window as they went about their activities and she got a flashback of when she was a student too herself. How life had been easier then.

"I called to tell you that Alhaji Nasir has called your Uncle in the morning and he gave him permission to visit you. He told me that he would be able to come today so that's why I've been trying to reach you. I've already given him the address. And it takes only a few minutes from Katsina to Dutsinma, so quickly get ready and prepare some things for him, okay?"