Chapter 21 - Love trumps all

:Connor:

Of course, it wasn't the best battle cry in history, but it served its purpose.

 We charged at the mayor and The Manipulator at top speed. But right before we got close enough to do any real damage, Golden Eagle came swooping down from the roof of City Hall followed by three dozen robots.

 Being Golden Eagle's sidekick for a while turned out to be of some use in the end. Ricky and I had some on hand experience with dealing with the ravenous diva that is Golden Eagle.

 "Hey, I heard that MTV said Justin Bieber was hotter than you!" Ricky yelled as he blasted a robot to ashes.

 Cassie dodged a punch from Golden Eagle and joined in. "I read that People's magazine declared The Marvel as the hottest masked man in the world, not you. In fact, they never even mentioned you."

"Yeah," I pushed a robot straight into an arrow shot by Chase, "I even heard E! news saying that you were getting too old for your fan base!"

 That seemed to knock him out of his current hypnosis, even for a second. His eyes went back to normal and he stopped trying to throw poorly aimed punches at Cassie.

"Wait a second, are you calling me old? I'm the best super there is! I'm the most-"

. . . And that's when Cassie round house kicked him in the head and knocked the world's best hero to the ground, unconscious.

While we'd been distracting Golden Eagle, the rest of the league was fighting off the robots.

Archer was a raving tornado . . . literally. Any robot in a five foot radius was scooped up and then shot fifty feet into the air by the power of Archer's wind. When they landed on the ground they would twitch and give off short electrical bursts until they finally short circuited.

Chase had finally found an advantage of Archer's superpowers. Instead of aiming as far away from the tornado as he could, he would do the exact opposite. Arrows flew into Archer's tornado and were shot back out into un-expecting robots' necks and heads.

I looked back up at the steps of City Hall. Reporters and pedestrians were still attempting to scatter, but they seemed momentarily confused.

The Manipulator stood at the top of the steps, his hands out and his head dipped in concentration. It didn't look like he was going to wait to turn all the previously kidnapped supers against their cities.

 "Umm . . . guys?" Lacey's concerned voice reached us through our earpieces. "The international news stations are getting reports of super attacks all over the world by the good supers. It's all over social media too."

 "And," Peter jumped in, "it would be nice if you could take down the bad guy before he ruins your reputation forever."

 "Thanks for the lovely suggestion." Archer grunted.

 Ricky looked at me and tilted his head to the top of City Hall as if to say, "You're the veteran super, you get to take on the Big Bad Wolf."

(Sometimes I really hated how right that kid was.)

 Cassie and he raced off to fight the robots that were currently raging through Main Street. Though there were many of them, but we were determined to win.

They quickly fell in line with Archer and Chase.

After all our pent up feelings about each other had been pushed out into the open and mostly resolved, we looked to be getting along a lot better. It showed itself in our fighting.