Chapter 10 - Mortifying is an understatement

:Arabella:

            My day turned bad as soon as my father came barging in my room unannounced.

            I mean - sure - I bet there are some families where it's normal for parents to waltz into their kids rooms without a word. But in my family? This was almost unheard of.

            "Arabella, we need to talk."

            That's all he said. No apologizing for waking up his only family from a nice slumber. No "Good Morning" or "How are you?" My father was all business.

            Ever since he became Mayor a couple months ago he was, well, different. He was always busy when he was a cop, but now he was even busier. I barely ever saw him. I hadn't even thought he came home from his office that night.

            Apparently he also thought that being mayor met that that he could just barge into his teenage daughter's room at an hour too early for physical activity.

            "Dad! I could've been naked! You can't just come in here unannounced!"

            He tilted his head in confusion. "Oh, I didn't think about that."

            Of course, he didn't have time to think about that, did he?

            "Anyways, what do you want?"

            He smiled like the comment from earlier was now forgotten. "I thought we could do something together today. I have some free time in-between meetings and I thought that I could spend it with my favorite daughter."

            "Dad," I reasoned, "I'm your only daughter.

            But it took me a moment to notice that he wasn't staring at me anymore. Rather, he was staring at a point over my shoulder. Was I that boring to him?

            Then Connor spoke. "Hey, Arabella, I hope you don't mind, I-"

            I'm pretty sure that was the moment that we all fully registered the situation at hand.

            Connor had walked out of my bathroom in nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist and my extra toothbrush hanging limp form his mouth. The covers on my bed were on the floor, thrown off during my nightmare last night. And, to top it all off, my earlier comment about being naked if my father had barged into the room at the wrong time didn't help.

            (Also, I couldn't say that Connor's abs didn't look to bad without a shirt on.)

            It didn't take an idiot for someone to piece together the clues in the wrong way.

            "Arabella." My father said in a tight voice. "Who is this boy in your room wearing nothing but a towel?"

            My voice caught in the back of my throat and my face turned as red as a fire truck. I was so embarrassed that I couldn't speak in my own defense.

            "Sir, I-"

            "I didn't ask you." My father interrupted Connor.

            It was then that I knew that we were both royally screwed.

            "Dad," I placed my words carefully because I knew that they could be my last, "this isn't what it looks like."