Chapter 19 - Making up after the breakup

:Connor:

            "Team meeting."

            Archer sighed. "I really hope that this is important. I was in the middle of watching football. The ECU Fighting Wasps were about to crush the ICU Elephants."

            "Football isn't the most important thing in the world right now, saving the city from a maniac is." Cassie sneered at Archer.

            "Look," I said, "I know that you're all still upset about the fight, but-"

            "Upset?" Archer voiced. "Upset doesn't even begin to explain it. It's obvious that you and Chase still think of me as a villain and lord knows what kind of things Chase did on that island, probably worse than what Nemesis made me do! And yet you keep holding a grudge against me. Is it because of Arabella?"

            "How do you mean?"

            He laughed. "It's obvious that you had a thing for her, even back in high school. You're jealous of me for actually having the chance to date her and now you think you won't ever get the chance because she's been kidnapped."

            "No, I'm not jealous of you, Archer. You lost her because you did stupid things. There's a reason she broke up with you, right?" Archer was silent. "And we will get her back, you can trust me on that front."

            "Alright, are we done bickering? Let's get down to business." Chase offered.

            "Please." Ricky added.

            Archer scoffed. "Oh, come on, Tough Guy. Are you telling me that you have no pent up feelings about what Connor said to you?"

            "What I said shouldn't matter. We're racing against the clock to find a member of our own team. We don't need to be fighting."

            "But while we're on that topic," Chase leaned back in his chair, "I'd like to know why you thought that being a super automatically made you better and more experienced than a guy who spent three years on an uninhabited island and can shoot an arrow through your heart before you can even think about tossing me away with your mind tricks."

            I sighed. "Look, I wasn't myself that day. I think we can all agree that what we said against each other wasn't totally our own thoughts. So, can we just get on with the reason why I called you all here? Trust me, it'll be worth it."

            No one said a word, so I assumed that they were ready for an explanation.

            Lacey spoke up first. She'd been so quiet that I'd forgotten that she was even there. "Well, I've already told Connor all the specifics and proof, but I've narrowed down who Nemesis is."

            Archer whooped. "That's great! Now we can get Arabella back and kick the guy's butt from here to New Jersey."

            "It's actually not that simple."

            "How?" Chase inquired. "It's not like he's the mayor or anything, right?"

            When Lacey and I went silent his face fell in shock. "You're kidding me, right?"

            Archer laughed dryly. "Who would've known? Two dirty mayors in a row. One was a mass murder super villain and the other is a psycho bent on destroying every super in the world."