Chapter 24: Home (Part 1)

"You wanted to talk about what made you get so angry before that last mission, Miss Ward."

"I did."

"Do you still want to share your thoughts on that?"

"I do."

My palms were sweaty and my heartbeat was raging. I closed my eyes.

I was walking over the grating. My heavy black combat boots hit the metal loudly. I wasn't trying to be quiet while walking down the filthy underground halls. They should know that I was coming. And they should know that I would not show mercy. The blood lust got bigger and bigger with each step. I could feel them. I could feel their fear. I could smell it. The thick air was completely polluted with it. The cocky grin on my face grew more and more insane. My eyes were wide open. My ears were everywhere. Knowing that someone would soon die, I became hungrier and hungrier. Both of my hands wrapped tightly around the rifle. The silver glittered in the darkness of the night. It was cold and I could see my breath. But as much as I enjoyed it, I knew the hunt was soon to be over.

And finally I stood in front of my prey.

They both just stood there, waiting to meet their faith – Barnes on one and my sister on the other side. Suddenly a shadow appeared behind me with the face of Rumlow. He grinned smugly as he came closer, pressed his ghostly body against mine and whispered in my ear that only one of them had to die. I had the honor to chose which one.

I looked back and forth between both targets. Suddenly my sisters face contorted. It was sunken, with deep circles under her eyes, and completely pale. Cuts and wounds opened up all over her body and her skin turned red and blue and green and yellow. She got all filthy and disgusting. She didn't speak a word and just stood there, watching me. Then Barnes took a few steps forward. Confidently, he walked towards me while pulling a white rose from behind his back. He playfully twirled the rose between his fingers. When he was directly in front of me, he paused, looked over his shoulder to get one last glimpse of my tortured sister and then laid his eyes back on me, a smirk on his face.

"You made the right decision", he seductively whispered in my ear as he stepped aside to make room for me. Purposefully, I started to march towards my sister while aiming the rifle at her. Without hesitation I pulled the trigger.

One.

Two.

Three.

Three bullets straight into her stomach while a single tear ran down her cheeks.

When I opened my eyes again, I was back at the familiar, gray therapy room. 

Barnes was sitting on the couch next to me with a little space between us. He looked down on my hands as I was nervously kneading them. I slowly placed my hands on my thighs and looked over to the doctor. She wasn't taking notes anymore. During the first months, she had always taken notes. But she stopped doing that a while ago.