Chapter seven

Fugaku stepped into the meeting room, Itachi flanking his right and Izuna his left.

"Hardly a place for children, Uchiha-san," Kohaku's remark came as her gaze locked onto Izuna.

The Uchiha clan head stayed quiet until he was kneeling on his cushion to the right of the Hokage.

"Itachi will be the next clan head, it is best to educate them early," He looked towards the Hokage as Itachi and Izuna knelt behind him, both silent and eyes low.

Hiruzen gave a curt nod, allowing the two. Kohaku's eyes remained on Izuna.

"And your second son?" Fugaku turned to her.

"The next advisor of the Clan Head, or if anything should happen to Itachi, the next clan head," He answered coldly. A few heads turned to Itachi in concern for his father's harsh words. The child gave no reaction however, merely keeping his gaze steady.

The Inuzuka head entered the room next, sitting a few seats down from Fugaku. With that all the clan representatives and council members were present.

"Let us begin," The Hokage began the meeting.

Izuna absorbed all the information as it came, the details available about the Kyuubi's release and the young boy orphaned. He vaguely remembered Kushina, the red haired woman that often visited Mikoto and wondered what would happen to her child. Would he know she loved him?

As clear as day, he could remember her hugging her stomach and whispering to it as Mikoto fussed over Sasuke, smiling over at him when she caught him staring. She'd gestured for him to come over and laugh as he flinched at Naruto's kicks, her hand warm when she held his hand on her stomach.

She would be missed, he decided. Kushina had a kind heart, even if he was apprehensive of her, the Uzumaki-Senju relation and all, but he couldn't help but hold the memories of her fondly.

The meeting took a turn as the topic of the Uchiha's involvement arose. Izuna stayed silent as Fugaku detailed the ability of the Uchiha clan in controlling the Nine Tailed Beast, reassuring the people present that only a number of Uchiha could have that ability, closely tied to their Mangekyou Sharingan.

Relocation of the Uchiha compound slipped in and overtook the discussion.

Hiruzen let a mental sigh cross his mind as Danzo insisted on the new compound, Fugaku meeting his suggestion with little enthusiasm. He looked over at the two children sitting behind the Uchiha clan head and mulled them over.

Fugaku would surely insist for his sons to enter the academy early by the end of the meeting and he dreaded having to tell him no several times before the stubborn man dropped it. Kakashi's early graduation was a necessity out of wartime, one that he regretted enough already.

The eldest son sat with his head down, looking at the ground beside his father. His expression was stern but there was nervousness in his eyes as Fugaku began to grow annoyed by Danzo's proposal. Hiruzen supposed he should step in as soon as the discussion grew heated.

He looked over at Izuna only to blink in surprise as he locked eyes with the young Uchiha. Izuna's expression was as neutral as when he entered but the anger in his eyes may as well have been slapping Hiruzen in the face.

Hiruzen's hand raised, silencing both Danzo and Fugaku without a word before he placed it back on the table.

"Izuna-kun," He addressed the youngest in the room, "What are your thoughts about this?"

The others in the room looked at him incredulously before all turning to the boy. Maybe he'd put too much pressure on the boy with the attention of the village's leaders now focused on him.