Chapter 14: Darling you send me

Noah must have dozed off on the couch because the next thing she knew there was a knock on the door and Charlie Swan was entering the living room. Any peace she may have felt after the conversation with her uncle was stripped just as suddenly as the air seemed to leave her lungs.

"You remember Charlie Swan," Billy said, rolling into the living room.

Noah remembered him well and with the memory of Charlie came the memory of the night her father almost killed her. Her heart pounded and her body seemed to throb with renewed pain. It was all Noah could do not to let a deep wince overtake her face. She could tell Charlie was thinking of that night also and Noah swallowed thickly.

"Hello Sheriff," Noah greeted. She knew Charlie was one of the 'necessary authorities' that knew about her situation and it made sense, he was the Chief of Forks Police, she just didn't have the energy or will to have another deep conversation about her father or her tragic life again today.

Charlie stepped towards her and Noah was sure that he was gonna start spewing out sympathies or apologies or something else unbearable, but he just held something out in his hand. Jesus Christ it was her backpack. The backpack. The only thing that may have saved her life that night was stowing it in his police cruiser.

"Here," Charlie grunted, his eyes flitting from one visible injury to the next. "I added some, uh, pepper spray."

Noah blinked owlishly at him. "Oh."

"And a pocket knife." Charlie added.

"Right, uh, thank you," Noah balked. She accepted the outstretched bag and quickly let it come to rest by her feet. She glanced over at her uncle who just smiled at her with a shrug as if to say that's Charlie for you. Noah had to admit she found his take refreshing.

"We're gonna find your father," Charlie promised, after a pause so long Noah thought he was done talking. "He won't ever hurt you again."

Noah nodded slowly, "Will you let me know when you do?"

"Absolutely, kid," Charlie swore.

And that was that. The pair was rolling out the door, tackle box and lunches in hand. But Billy made sure to first come and press a kiss to Noah's forehead.

"Paul should be here any minute to pick you up," Billy informed casually, allowing Charlie to take over pushing him to the door.

"Paul?" Noah sputtered, looking around frantically.

"Yeah Emily said she would send him over when I spoke to her," Billy explained. He said it like it was nothing.

How could just spring that on her like it was nothing? Noah needed to brush her teeth, put on some socks, or just do something. She didn't know what but she was panicking.

"You look fine Noah," Billy chuckled with a knowing smile.

"What? That's not, I'm not," Noah stuttered, cheeks flushed into a dark red. She quickly sobered up and gave her uncle a dirty glare. "No one asked you old man! How about you just try not to tip the boat today!"

The two men left the house laughing, throwing goodbyes over their shoulders between chuckles. Noah did not find the whole thing funny at all. She hopped up and began doing the little dance of grabbing all the things she thought she might need.

The first thing she did was hobble to the bathroom to brush her teeth. Noah leaned heavily against the wall as she made her way down the hall, using it like a makeshift crutch. It fucking hurt, but she didn't have time to think about something as trivial as pain. Once her teeth were thoroughly scrubbed, Noah felt altogether less panicked.