Eleanor

2022, Rayleigh, NC. (mid. July)

     In the middle of July, North Carolina can be fairly hot, I mean very hot. The smoke and heat from Russia's bombs hitting Canada does not help one bit. Eleanor was a fancy, city girl unti, well, war happened. While brushing her golden blonde hair in a very expensive mirror, Eleanor heard a bloody scream on her cheap television, as the channel changed from my little pony, to channel seven news. Ellie could not believe her eyes, she was traumatized. Ellie never saw anything like this before, kids at her school and camp had talked about this but she thought it was stupid and just to scare or threaten the United States. It was real, she knew it, her dad knew it and her town was getting harder to live in each day.

     Before all of this nonsense happened, Ellie was a social butterfly. She loved her friends, games, sports and animals most of all. She was the only blonde with blue eyes in her class so she felt special, she felt like she belonged at school, not because she felt special, but because her dad usually paid no attention to her. Her dad always used to call her Ellie or Elle. But her name was Eleanor. Eleanor Rose Gwyn.

     As the short day fell into darkness, Ellie got tired and went through her usual bedtime routine because it made her feel normal again, like nothing was going on in the world. So, eleven year old Eleanor went into her bed and laid down quietly and patiently until her little blue eyes gave in.

"Ellie!" Shouted a deep voice from downstairs. This woke Eleanor up from a dead sleep. She panicked. She rushed down the wooden steps only to find blood and an open door.

"Dad? Dad wh-where are you?"

     With every light turned off and no sound but people screaming and running outside, Eleanor got dizzy. It was like when you do not drink enough water and your body just gives up, but she was well hydrated. The view of people outside her small home window had turned blurry almost like it was an abstract painting. And she fell, hitting her head on the hard floor, she heard a voice telling her to wake up.